Nairobi: Fairview Safe Area?

Jan 18th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Nairobi: Fairview Safe Area?

I"m not sure anywhere is a safe area, but how does the location of the Fairview compare to the Norfolk for safety, including driving there on the road from the intl airport and to Wilson? I want to switch from the Norfolk to the Fairview after reading negative reviews about construction on TripAdvisor.
Jan 18th, 2008, 04:46 AM

The Fairview is located across the street from the Israeli Embassy. It can be considered, either, the safest or unsafest place in Nairobi. Most believe the former and has been especially so during these recent uncertain times; plenty of security around.

It's a nice family-run hotel, with lovely gardens where to take your meals.

The airport roads have been open (safe) the entire time of the upheavals in Nairobi; more police presence, but then there's always police presence in Nairobi.

Fairview is a lovely choice, as is Norfolk; the latter more expensive though. I'd check direct with the Norfolk about "construction" If any currently, might be completed by the time you arrive.

Jan 18th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the clarification, Sandi, especially learning about the Israeli embassy. Normally, I would try to stay away from there, but I agree that their security level would be a good deterrent to street gangs. And, the Norfolk reviews were just from the Christmas timeframe...construction supposed to last until March 8th, so I think they'd still be less than optimal. Will try for the Fairview.
Jan 18th, 2008, 01:17 PM

Well, if they say construction at the Norfolk till March, with my experience in construction, it can be even longer. Go for the Fairview.
Jan 18th, 2008, 01:24 PM

The Fairview also has the "business property", the Country Lodge, as noted in a recent post. It's within the same compound as the Fairview, but less expensive. You can also dine at the Fairview restaurants for lunch and dinner.

I stayed at the Fairview in June in the apartment block and enjoyed it. The grounds are quite lovely and dinner by the pool was fun.
Jan 18th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

The local tour operator just recommended we change to the House of Waine, instead of the Fairview. (actually we were booked at the Norfolk) Although it's a longer drive, I'm excited about staying there from all the good reports.
Jan 19th, 2008, 04:45 AM

House of Waine is my favorite in Nairobi. But price will be much higher than either Norfolk and more even than Fairview.

If arriving NBO late and heading out for safari next morning, Fairview is more than adequate and charming.