nairobi choices: book on arrival?

Reply

Jun 24th, 2005, 04:09 PM
  #1
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9
nairobi choices: book on arrival?

I want to go to Nairobi during either the off season, or shoulder season (advice welcome as to best time to go) I can use airline employee passes on United and reduced airfare on Lufthansa and Virgin. Since I must stand by I would like to know if it would be feasible to book a 6 or 7 night safari in Nairobi after I arrive? I don't want to book and pay for a safari not being sure exactly when I would get there.I have read that getting a visa at the airport in Nairobi isn't a problem and I would prefer to do that.Also would any readers know if I might have any chance of avoiding a single suplement by going at a slow time of the year for tourists? I don't want to take a provided roommate in order to pay less.One last question,I can get to Cape town for almost the same price as Nairobi so would like info on which might be better. Same considerations as for nairobi,book there,avoid single suppement etc.
windybreeze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:53 PM
  #2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,222
You're in an unusual situation, and I can't really offer you much in the way of advice other than if I were you I would at least research different operators and what kind of safaris they typically run. That way you can arrive in Nairobi with a list of, say, 5 tour operators you know are legitimate and generally within your budget.

You can get your visa at the airport (no prob).

And one last thing: this is a great opportunity and one you shouldn't miss!
Leely is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jun 26th, 2005, 06:23 PM
  #3
sandi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Nairobi and Capetown - Apples and Oranges. Not the same to offer an answer. What do you want? To safari or visit one of the nicest cities in the world? Just because you can get there doesn't quite provide sufficient information. And from where are you flying?

Even with a pass (every airline employee I knew who uses a pass these days manages to get a firm booking ahead of time - they haven't done a stand-by in years). But if yours is stand-by, how many days do you have to wait? If more then a day, going for only week is a bummer. And whether NBO or CPT, they're both long hauls if you have hang out at an airport for a seat.

Even in low season (November thru mid-December which is the short rainy time; or April/May which is the long rain season in Kenya) can't guarantee you won't be hit with a single supplement for a safari vacation. But as Leely suggests above, check out a few in-counry outfitters (there are many on this board that receive favorable review) to see what they can offer... do this thru email. If you find an outfitter who offers an itinerary and prices that suit you, explain your situation and see what response you get from them. I'd rather know I have something upon arrival then to be running around NBO after a long flight negotiating for a trip - that's at least one day gone of your 6-7 days.

If traveling to CPT, you'd be booking a hotel room or a bed and breakfast at whatever the single rate for a room is. And then you'd have to arrange for your sightseeing in/around the city.

You'll have to decide what kind of vacation you want.
 
Reply With Quote
 



Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:50 AM.