Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Nairobi Airport Excursions (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/nairobi-airport-excursions-526397/)

blemke May 3rd, 2005 04:33 PM

Nairobi Airport Excursions

Hi,
Our plane lands at 9:10am from Zanzibar and we fly out at 5:20pm...we would like to go to Karen Blixen Musuem and the Giraffe Manor or centre ....we have been quoted from southerncrosssafaris
Transfer - US$16 x 2 pax x 2 return, totals US$64.00
Karen Blixen Museum and Giraffe Manor is US$45.00 per person x 2 pax, totals
US$90
NETT TOTAL COST IS US$154.00
Do you think a cab would be cheaper or another suggestion? and can you go to the Giraffe Manor without staying there? where could we have lunch(we are eating at the Carnivore on another day?
thanks for help

Patty May 3rd, 2005 07:04 PM

Yes a cab will be cheaper but it depends on whether you prefer to have everything prebooked or negotiate on arrival. I believe the going rate is about $50 a day for a cab to take you to the tourist sights in town (not including the cost of admissions at each location). At least that's what we were told by the Hilton staff. You might also be able to find a tour desk at the airport and book with them (check the Lonely Planet board, I believe there's mention of this at NBO).

I don't know about Giraffe Manor but the Giraffe Centre where you can hand feed Rothchild giraffe is open to the public. For lunch there's the Blixen Coffee Garden near the museum. We didn't go there so I'm not sure of the food quality/cost. We ate a casual outdoor lunch at the restaurant at Utamaduni (a shopping complex with craft vendors). I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but it's the only one there. The food was good and inexpensive. I think it cost 3 of us around 2000 KES.

I'm surprised to hear that your tour operator is charging you for transfers if you're organizing a day tour through them. There isn't that much of a difference between picking you up and returning you to a hotel versus picking you up and returning you to the airport. Ask them if they will just charge you the tour price.

blemke May 3rd, 2005 09:57 PM

Hi Patty,

Great practical advice....

thank you

sandi May 4th, 2005 04:26 AM

blemke -

Since most pick-ups for tours in NBO are from hotels, the costs of airport transfers to "central/downtown NBO" aren't really that high. In fact, $16/person is quite reasonable. Likewise, the $45/person for Blixen Museum (a donation here is appreciated) and the Giraffe Center (entry fee included in the $45) which is next door to the Giraffe Manor, is the going rate for 1/2-day of touring. You might actually be using the vehicle/driver/guide for more then that amount of time (till return to airport for homebound flight) - and if no additional charge, I'd recommend you tip your driver well.

Since you're arriving so early, I'd also have the driver stop at the Sheldrik Ellee Orphanage (in the same area as Blixen & Giraffe Centre) for the 11:00am elephant feeding/mud-baths. And you can stop at Utamaduni w/lunch nearby.

For good Italian food, I understand Tattoria near the Intercontinental is outstanding, busy, so reservations might be necessary. Or try Tamarind for seafood.

If you were arriving NBO for a hotel stay w/ 1/2 day tours, these prices would be built into your price - so the price from Southern Cross is good.

With limited time your last day, I would want to take advantage of my time and not wait till I arrived at the airport in the hopes of getting this for less, having to negotiate, and probably paying as much or more. But the decision is yours.

Patty May 4th, 2005 06:35 AM

How could I have forgotten to mention the Sheldrick Orphanage! Yes do make sure you stop there as well - the public viewing hours are 11am-noon. All 3 places are in very close proximity to each other in the suburbs south of town.

Admission prices in February were -
Blixen Museum 200 KES per person (same as all other state museums)
Giraffe Centre 500 KES per person
Sheldrick Orphanage - free if you come on your own but donation suggested, I believe tour operators are charged a nominal fee
So keep that in mind if going the taxi route.

I've heard very good things about Trattoria as well, but depending on how much time you spend at each location, it may be easier just to have lunch in the Karen/Langata area rather than heading to downtown Nairobi.

If you have extra time or want to do some shopping, you could consider stopping at Kazuri Beads & Pottery (also in the same area). They'll give you a short tour of the facility and show you their bead/pottery making process. The beads are beautiful, reasonably priced, and make nice gifts.

blemke May 4th, 2005 04:11 PM

Hello,

Is the Tamarind for seafood in the area or close by the other attractions

thanks

Patty May 4th, 2005 06:01 PM

The Tamarind is also in central Nairobi, just north of the railway station. You mentioned that you're eating at the Carnivore on another day. Will you also be overnighting in Nairobi that day? What you may want to consider is lunch at the Carnivore, which is closer to these attractions, on the day you do the tour and eat at the Tamarind the other day. It's not a huge distance away, but I just thought with limited time it made more sense to stay in the same general area for lunch.

blemke May 4th, 2005 08:00 PM

Hi,
As always the perfect solution has been found ...we will eat at Carnivore and as we are overnighting another day
we will eat at Tamarind then

thanks to everyone for all the help