My Kenya Safari June 2019

Old Jul 12th, 2019, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Kenya Safari June 2019

First of all thanks to all who helped me plan this trip.

Once again I had the most amazing time in Kenya. This time was with my 17 year old grand daughter who said she wanted to go after seeing photos of my trip two years ago. She saved some money and off we went.

After a few days in London we travelled on BA to Nairobi
Upon arrival we lined up for our East Africa Visa. I had printed off the form from the Embassy web sight which caused a bit of confusion as they thought I was picking up an E visa. I did not need to bring any photos as they took my picture there. $100 USD handed over and we are good to go.
Our safari was once again planned by Gamewatchers and our guide picked us up in the morning at the Saab Royale hotel for our drive to Amboseli.
I wanted my grand daughter to see the difference between a game park and conservancy and also a lodge and tented camp. The first two nights were in the Sopa Amboseli which was just fine.

The animal sightings were pretty good and my grand daughter loved it. Lots of elephants. We also saw lions, cheetah, zebra, baboons, warthogs, and other animals of course.
Day three we were driven to Wilson airport to catch a flight north to Porini Rhino Camp for two nights. We both liked this small camp so much better. Lots of Rhinos and we even booked a horseback riding with rhinos trip for just over an hour which was awesome.
We found three lions , brothers, who had just taken down a cape buffalo which was exciting.
Our last two nights were at Porini Lion Camp. My favourite. We arranged a late check out so had lots of time for game drives.

I think we saw every animal at least twice, except for a crocodile. We did get to see two crossings and lots of baby lions, cheetah, leopard, giraffe to name just a few.
This is another tented camp and the staff are just amazing (as they were in Rhino camp). Some remembered me from two years ago which was nice. They catered to our vegetarian needs and had very tasty food.
We spend two more nights in Nairobi at the Saab again and visited the elephant sanctuary, giraffe sanctuary and went shopping at Utamaduni which had some great items. We also had lunch there.
From here we flew to Rwanda for our gorilla trek , which I will post on the Uganda forum.
It was such an amazing trip. My fourth safari and each one seems to be better than the last.
By the way. I was never asked to show my Yellow Fever card at any of the three borders or airports. But I would still get it anyhow. Last time I had to show it three times.

Here is a link to my blog with pictures. Cant seem to figure out how to post photos here.

https://debbeanddougstravels.travellerspoint.com/100/
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 08:04 PM

Love this trip report!! Thank you Live42Day.
Enjoyed your story, especially as it brought back great memories of a similar trip five yrs ago with then 16 yr old grandson—including to Porini Rhino and Lion camps. I too wanted grandchild to have different (for me, equally wonderful albeit in different ways) types of park and lodging.
If you havent gone previously, I highly recommend visiting Samburu next time in Kenya.
Thanks again, and safari njema!

Old Aug 8th, 2019, 11:28 PM

Wonderful photos in your blog! Thank you for sharing. I’m a bit confused, though, about your gorilla trek. You wrote: “From here we flew to Rwanda for our gorilla trek , which I will post on the Uganda forum.” Did you track gorillas in Rwanda or Uganda?
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 11:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Cali. Not sure if I will get back to Africa but will keep that in mind if I can swing it. It’s great to see things through the eyes of our grandchildren.
Heimdal, we flew into Rwanda and drove to Uganda from there as it was closer than flying into Entebbe. Two years ago I tracked in both Rwanda and Uganda. But they increased the price so much in Rwanda we had to go to Uganda.