my first safari

Oct 5th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

my first safari

I am planning a plain vanilla pre packaged safari with Overseas Adventure Travel to Botswana, Nambia and Zimbabwe. It is listed as 19 days but that includes 3-4 days travel. I would like to hear from anybody that has experiance with this tour.\group. the safaris will all be in national parks.
any feedback would be appreciated.
Irvingold
Oct 5th, 2006, 12:20 PM

You might try and do a search of OAT or Overseas Adventure Travel and Botswana, as there have been several threads discussing this trip.
Oct 5th, 2006, 12:29 PM

Hello,

Do a search for 'OAT' -- you'll find a number of reviews of the OAT trips. Generally they're thought to be good value for a group trip, though most people here prefer to plan their own trips.

It sounds like you're looking at OAT's 'Ultimate Africa' itinerary. It's not bad, though personally I don't understand why they go to the Caprivi Strip in Namibia when you've just been to Chobe (it's just across the river). Spending that time in the Delta or in Kalahari would be a better use of those three days.

OAT groups tend to have a large number of senior citizens, which means that the pace may sometimes be a bit slower than you would expect (according to some of those who have travelled with them).

Cheers,
Julian
Oct 5th, 2006, 01:40 PM

I'm about to go on the OAT Kenya and Tanzania trip -- I'll tell you about it when I return.
I've travelled with OAT before, although not in Africa. Although most of the travellers tend to be about 20 years older than I am, they tend to be fit and adventurous, and experienced travellers. I'm in my 40s, and have had trouble keeping up, at times! However they do pace the trips with more breathing room than other tours choose, so you stay in each place at least 2 days, usually. Thus it takes more days to cover a similar itinerary. They also tend to try to give the flavor of the local culture rather than just rushing to all the famous spots.
Oct 5th, 2006, 05:54 PM

Africa is never plain vanilla! I remember a positive trip report on that itinerary. ShayTay's Caprivi Strip comment came up when this itinerary was discussed previously.

If you are looking at group trips, Wilderness Safaris in Maun, Botswana does quite a few mobile safaris in Southern Africa. They are an outstanding award winning company that I've gone with. You don't book with Wilderness directly. They only use agents.

Oct 5th, 2006, 06:05 PM

Oops that was Julian's Caprivi Strip comment.
Oct 5th, 2006, 06:12 PM
santharamhari

Actually, Kwando Lagoon is right on the other side of the caprivi strip and fantastic game-viewing with a guide/tracker system....

As Julian suggests, you can easily spend 3 nights here.....

Hari