Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   My favorite African dish - made w/crepes (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/my-favorite-african-dish-made-w-crepes-507245/)

Clematis Feb 25th, 2005 08:05 PM

My favorite African dish - made w/crepes

A bit off-topic, but while at Stanley's camp we did a walk with the elephants - something I would recommend to anyone. It was probably our most treasured experience. After walking and talking with the couple who live with these tame rescued eles (sleeping in a truck so the eles can roam), we ended up at a outdoor lunch. My favorite dish was made from a stack of crepes layered with a meat and tomato sauce and cheese, and then cut in wedges for serving. Does anyone know what this dish is called and/or how to make it? I would love to make this for my friends this weekend. This was in Botswana but it is possible the wonderful cook might have been from anywhere in Africa.

Kavey Feb 26th, 2005 02:38 AM

Don't know the answer but it does remind me of a dessert we had at La Loerie restaurant in Knysna - a gateau was made by stacking thin crepes with a layer of lemony filling. The finished cake was sliced like a regular cake and it was utterly delicious!

Selwyn_Davidowitz Feb 26th, 2005 03:41 AM

Kavey,

Abdul at La Loerie calls the desert that you ate Crepes Gateau and I have to agree with you that it is unique and one of the best deserts that I have had.

Clematis Creps Gateau is is NOT the same meal that you had but if you change the filling I am sure that it will come close to what you are looking for.

Go to: http://www.emerils.com/recipes/by_na...ux_pommes.html

Enjoy.

Very proudly part of the wonderful ((r)) nation of South Africa

Kavey Feb 26th, 2005 04:00 AM

Yes, that's right. Sandy was front of house but, because we were the only guests and because I mentioned that I speak French, Abdel did come out and chat with us a couple of times and told us about the crepe gateau.

I doubt they will remember us but incase they do, please say hello next time you are there. They might do, since a 6 foot 6 ginger-bearded guy and a short, round Indian chatterbox might be seen as an unusual couple!

atravelynn Feb 26th, 2005 05:33 AM

Appreciate the Stanley's elephant walking comments. Could you elaborate? How long was the walk? Morning or afternoon? Do the elephants walk daily? How many people go? How many elephants went? How long did you spend at Stanley's? What else did you do or see at Stanley's? Did you combine Stanley's with other Sanctuary camps in Botswana?

Your short description of your crepe lunch may be enough for you to just give it a try. You can buy ready-made crepes and follow the preparation directions. Then just start layering and and see what results.

Looking forward to reading more about your experience with Stanley's eles and Bon appetit!

Clematis Feb 27th, 2005 10:29 PM

Hi Selwyn and thank you very much for the link. I am most interested in knowing if anyone knows if this was unusual for African cuisine (something special by a chef interested in French cooking) or is it some African dish?

Atravelynn, my walk was 4 hours. It started in the morning and ended at a late lunch. I don't know if they walk daily with tourists. I believe one elephant walked and then we met the other two later. We were the only two people at camp except for one other couple so the walk was nice with just the four of us and then the support team for the eles. I was told this would be very special and not like a "touristy" event and they were right. It is hard to describe but I would easily recommend it. Spent two nights at Stanley's a few years ago right before they were about to do a remodel. We did not go to other Sanctuary camps. At Stanleys' we saw a variety of game but we found them to be somewhat skittish - meaning they would often run from the jeep. It might be very different if you go now, I can't say. But if they are still doing the walk with the elephants, it is a wonderful thing to do and as these are rescued semi-tame eles that are now getting the best possible solution for their lives, it's good to support them. The people who care for them know the eles will outlive them so they have provided for their care in their wills.

atravelynn Feb 28th, 2005 06:24 AM

Thank you Clematis for the information on the elephants at Stanley's. The comment about including the elephants in their caretakers wills offered an interesting perspective.

And good luck with the recipe.