Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > My charity project to raise funds for wildlife conservation: Last Few Weeks

My charity project to raise funds for wildlife conservation: Last Few Weeks

Feb 8th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

My charity project to raise funds for wildlife conservation: Last Few Weeks

By now most of you know about the project I launched in August to raise funds for wildlife conservation by selling prints of photographs taken on a recent trip to Kenya, where I met David Shepherd, the founder of the David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation. His emotive accounts of the problems faced and his passion about being part of the solution made me keen to find ways in which I could support the work of the foundation.

In the 5+ months since then sales have crept up and the project has now raised almost $700 for the foundation.

I would like to bring the project to a close with a bang and am therefore inviting anyone who has not already looked at the prints in question to please have a peek and consider purchasing one or more before the end of February.

From the beginning of March these prints will no longer be on sale for the benefit of the David Shepherd Wildife Foundation.

To view the prints go to http://kavey.dpcprints.com/?tr=cccend

All prints with DSWF in their title are part of this project.

Let me also say a huge THANK YOU to those who have bought a print and also to those who have taken the time to forward the information and link to friends and colleagues who might be interested.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and to consider whether you can help.

Kavita (Kavey)
Feb 8th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Oops! Can you use link:

http://kavey.dpcprints.com/?tr=fodorsend
Feb 11th, 2005, 04:25 PM

ttt
Feb 12th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Kavey-
I've looked at your prints and they are, of course, gorgeous. Sorry but my walls are stuffed with paintings and we had to get rid of many when we bought this smaller house.
I'd be very happy to donate $100.00 if you'll tell me where to mail the check. Good luck to you, you've really worked your heart out and I admire you greatly for your efforts. Liz
Feb 13th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Liz, I'm overwhelmed. I will email you. THANK YOU!
Feb 17th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

The response over the last few days has been great and the total (before Liz's generous contribution) is already nearly $815! I'm hoping to be able to get sales up to $900 so that the grand total will be $1000!!!

Only a few short weeks to go!
Feb 17th, 2005, 09:10 AM

Kavey,

I will match Liz's generous $100 contribution to get you to $1,000.00 total.

I ask that anybody who I have helped in planning trips (and likely saving hundreds or thousands of dollars) also please consider making a contribution to this very worthy cause, whether it is by purchasing one of Kavey's beautiful prints or by making a cash donation, whether it is $10, $100 or more.
Feb 17th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Oh my. Oh my. Crying. THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Rocco, I am emailing Liz tomorrow about best way to actually do this and will email you too!
THANK YOU!!!
Feb 18th, 2005, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Have emailed you both. Many thanks again!
Feb 23rd, 2005, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Topping one last time... just a few days left now.

Feb 23rd, 2005, 10:43 AM

Kavey,

Got your e-mail. Will be sending donation soon. Thanks for the opportunity to contribute to such a worthwhile cause.
Feb 23rd, 2005, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank YOU!
Feb 23rd, 2005, 12:50 PM

I would also like to match Liz's and Rocco's donations to this worthwhile project. Please email me your address to [email protected] and please tell me if you can accept a US dollar denominated check, or I can pay via paypal (paypal would be easier, plus I'd get mileage )

Michael
Feb 23rd, 2005, 01:12 PM

Hey Kavey - I'll be the fourth to match the $100.00 cash donation. Tell me the same info that thit_cho asked you and I'll get it sent out right away.
jimcindyw at yahoo.com
Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:24 PM

I was out of town, but posted a check to your aunt on Tuesday, as Monday was a holiday here for the mailman.
I too am overwhelmed by the wonderful people we have on this site that have matched my donation. I couldn't think of anything else to do and it has turned into a wonderful testament to our feelings about one very nice person that we have come to respect and trust. Thanks to you, Kavey for your help and support on this site for the past five years. Liz
Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:28 PM

Yeah, Pay Pal isn't a bad idea, but only if it is something you may already have setup. I wouldn't mind a little extra mileage either!

Also, here is a pretty easy way to pick up some easy mileage on Delta Sky Miles:

www.sharebuilder.com

(866) SHR-BLDR

Sign up for the Delta Skymiles program and for as little as a $100 month recurring investment, you can earn 5,500 miles upfront, and an additional 500 miles per quarter for three more quarters. So, for as little as a $900 investment that you may be already making elsewhere in stocks/mutual funds, etc., you can earn up to 7,000 Delta Sky Miles. Hey, that gets you 8% of the way from London to Johannesburg!
Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:45 PM

Rocco, do you have any info on the Ameritrade promo to earn Delta SkyMiles. I see that if I open a $50,000 account, they'll give me 25,000 miles. I'll call them tomorrow to see how long I need to keep the money in the account and any fees. If I can park $50,000 for a few months w/o fees, and earn interest or invest, it would be worth the 25,000 miles.
Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:57 PM

Michael,

I did first bite at the Ameritrade offer, but the account must have the minimum $50,000 for 9 months.

I think after the first 3 months they will credit you with half the miles and after 9 months they credit the other half. Should you pull out the money sooner than 9 months, they reserve the right to charge you for the Delta Sky Miles.

25,000 miles is great, but I just thought that 7,000 miles for less than a $1,000 investment with Share Builder was way too easy!
Feb 24th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Liz, this is wonderful - look at what you started!

Thanks to ALL of you for your incredible generosity. It's overwhelming and I'd like to state right here that the support from the people on this Fodors Africa board has been better than ANY other avenue of support!

I've also had another reader of the board email me and let me know privately that she too would like to make a donation without buying a print.

Thanks to Rocco and Liz for mailing the cheques. Because the charity is faced with large bank fees for handling dollar cheques (and me too) too much of the precious total would be wasted. Instead I asked my aunt in Florida to cash dollar cheques, I'll pay the charity directly from my personal account (in pounds) and square up with my aunt later.

I'm looking into the paypal options now and will email Thit_Cho, Sundowner and the kind lady who has emailed me with all the information ASAP.

Feb 25th, 2005, 08:29 AM

The check, as they say, is in the mail to your aunt. I wrote "thit_cho" in the memo line so you'll know its from me. Thanks for forwarding these funds to this very worthy project.

Search this Thread