My Botswana trip, August 2006

Feb 13th, 2006, 01:10 AM
santharamhari

My Botswana trip, August 2006

I'm almost fully finalized my return trip to Kwando.

At the moment, it looks like this....

Starting Aug 22-24 Kwando Lagoon (3 nights)
Aug 25-29 Kwando Lebala (4 nights)

That's how my trip stands....

But i think, i may spend a few nights elsewhere (most likely Mara) after this.....will keep you guys updated.

I know logistically, sounds nightmarish finding connections to the Mara from Maun....but it makes the most logical sense given the time of the year and the migration around the Mara. Also, this trip covers all my fav animals (cheetah, wild dogs, Maybe Leopard???, sable, roan???)

I feel Zambia is a seperate trip(to do full justice)....

Not going to any of the delta camps on this particular trip

Feb 13th, 2006, 07:46 AM
johan_belgium

Hari,

Is there any reason why you don't go to f.e. Chitabe or Kwara?

Or is it just that you really want to go to the Mara in August?

Greetings,

Johan

Feb 13th, 2006, 07:58 PM
santharamhari

Johan,

I have never been to Chitabe.....Yes, i really want to go to the Mara this year as i havent been there in a long time.

Kwara.....i was just there in December for 4 nights.....and i think i will see all the predators in the Kwando concession in August......with regards to the camps, i think Lebala and Lagoon are nicer (particularly Lebala) love Harry, Monique and Jonah. At Kwara, we just met the sub managers (Mel and Grant) who are wonderful.....but they freelance....wont be around in Aug

Honestly, i think the Wilderness camps in the delta are better than Kwara. I only have prior experience with Mombo and Duba.

Rgds
Hari

Feb 14th, 2006, 07:06 AM

Hi Hari, I was just checking the desity of cats in the mara and the lion density is more than 13 per 100sq kilometers which increases or rather doubles during migration time....

Mara is the way to go Hari.....

Sonali.

Sonali.
Feb 15th, 2006, 09:29 PM
santharamhari

Sonali,

I have no doubt that the Serengeti/mara eco-system has a very very high game density of cats.....however, when it comes to quality of sightings.....leaves much to be desired!!!

There have been times at the Mara.....when, there are gazillion jeeps/mini vans around the termite mound with a cheetah or circling around a pride of lions......it takes away the moment......doesnt make for good photographic opportunity or that magic moment of just trying to observe the cats doing/not doing anything.....

Which part of the migration attracts most tourists??? How is end August/early sept??? Hopefully by the 1st of Sept...the tourists may not be as many......

However, i guess when it comes to the Serengeti......it is soooooo vast that it doesnt really get as over-crowded!!!

Hari

Feb 16th, 2006, 09:11 AM

Hi Hari,
Well I agree with you about mara, but still it is difficult to beat in sept, and u are allowed to off road in the mara...
Serengeti is vast so yes there are some places like northern serengeti where u sight more animals then cars
I know the botswana experience should be wonderful and since I am planning so many trips this year I donnot want to pay above 900$pppn including single supplement for camps in bots high season. I will definately go to bots but in low season or mid season.. then see how it goes from there, It's a pity I have to pay those single supp, otherwise around 600$pppn is perfect, Gosh I envy u, Sonali.
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:53 AM
santharamhari

Johan,

Thanks so much...........i just added 3 nights at Chitabe to my week long trip to Lagoon and Lebala.........

Be at Chitabe Aug 29 thru 31. Is that enough? or need another night? main criteria are dogs and cheetahs......

Thanks

Hari

Feb 17th, 2006, 05:14 PM
santharamhari

Johan,

At the moment, i am waitlisted for that 3rd night.......so chances of 4 seems remote.....

If waitlisted, what are my chances for confirmations?

Hari

Feb 17th, 2006, 06:42 PM

For Chitabe, if the dogs are denning in the area, 2 nights is enough to pay them a visit. Of course 3 or 4 is better. Be sure to indicate your interest in seeing dogs when you arrive. In 8 days last August, I did not see any cheetah. One had been spotted a week before my visit but had not been seen since. Cheetah can be elusive.

With both Chitabe and Chitabe Trails options, I think your odds are pretty good of getting at least a third night, maybe more.

Hope it all works out to your liking.
Feb 17th, 2006, 09:43 PM
johan_belgium

Hari,

Chitabe has always been a quite popular camp so you'll have to wait and see.

Because of the two camps there, you still got chances but like I said it's not guaranteed.

Greetings,

Johan

Feb 18th, 2006, 11:41 PM
santharamhari

Thanks Johan and travelynn....i am still waitlisted for the 3rd nite, but my travel agent are in touch with Wilderness...

Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:35 PM
santharamhari

Alright folks!!! Here's my finalized itinerary......

August 16-20 Phinda Forest lodge and walking safari
August 21- overnite Joburg
August 22-24 Kwando Lagoon (3N)
August 25-28 Kwando Lebala (4N)
August 29-Sep 1 Kwando Kwara Island(3N)

First of all, full thanks all contributions from members on this board for all their inputs to help me put this plan in place.........

Thanks a bunch......

Hari

Search this Thread