Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   My ATR itin: May I ask you to review it to get your opinions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/my-atr-itin-may-i-ask-you-to-review-it-to-get-your-opinions-551855/)

BostonGal Aug 15th, 2005 07:52 AM

My ATR itin: May I ask you to review it to get your opinions?

Hi everyone-

We decided on ATR last Friday for our Tanzania itin, info below.

May I ask for your opinions? Especially about lodging. I wish we could spend more time on safari, but these were the dates that worked for us, so there wasn't too much cushion to move things around...
----

January 2006

Monday: arrive in Arusha, stay at Moivaro Lodge

Tuesday: begin safari. Begin in Arusha, head to Ngorongoro Crater, stay at Olduvai Tented Camp.

Wednesday: safari. Stay at Ronjo Flycamp.

Thursday: Safari. Stay at Olduvai again.

Friday: Safari, back up to Arusha. Required night stay before our Kilimanjaro climb.

We are doing the 7night Shira climb. Stay at Ilboru Lodge.

During the trek, we stay at various flycamps. I imagine they are all pretty standard, but if not, I can list those too to see what you think.

Saturday: back to Arusha, stay at Ilboru again.

Sunday: head to Zanzibar. Stay at Emerson & Green.

Monday: head to the beaches. Stay at Matemwe Beach.

Tuesday: depart for home.

What do you all think? I know we've all been devouring the details and our heads are spinning, but I was wondering if anyone can provide feedback (good or bad) about the lodges we have.

Are there others that we should request from ATR instead?

Many thanks in advance!

Roccco Aug 15th, 2005 08:11 AM

BostonGal,

An entire night at each Emerson & Green and the Matemwe Bungalows?

In all honesty, I think your itinerary is exhausting and does not sound like a holiday, at all, but rather an assignment of some sort, which is fine if you are getting paid for it, but not so great if you are footing the bill. I would say that you should either extend your stay by three or four nights, or you should, at a minimum drop one of the destinations so that you may more thoroughly enjoy the other destinations.

Sorry I was unable to say that I think it is a good schedule. The itinerary is perfect, but the schedule is far from perfect.

jasher Aug 15th, 2005 08:22 AM

Hello,

I have to say that I agree with Rocco -- it seems like you will always be packing and unpacking, with no time to settle in and enjoy things. I would recommend dropping Zanzibar unless you really enjoy hot, humid weather -- it will be EXTREMELY hot and humid there in January.

Cheers,
Julian

BostonGal Aug 15th, 2005 08:26 AM

Oh wow, really?? Shoot, I was hoping it would be a nice way to end the trip.

I'll review my schedule again. Thanks for the input.

Has anyone stayed at Ilboru before?

alwaysafrica Aug 15th, 2005 08:33 AM

Agreed that you'll want to spend more than one night at each of the lodges/camps... otherwise, the packing up gets tiring and you won't feel accustomed to any place... We stayed for 2 and 3 nights at the various camps while on safari, and then 3 nights in one hotel in Stonetown and 3 nights at one resort in Zanzibar...

However, I have to disagree that Zanzibar will be too hot and humid... My husband and I were there this past January and the weather was superb. We stayed at Tembo House in Stone Town and Pongwe Beach Resort at the beach... we absolutely loved both!

In terms of freeing up time during your itinerary, I would definitely take safari-ing over Zanzibar - but if there's time to do both in a relaxing way, that would certainly be the best!

jasher Aug 15th, 2005 09:28 AM

I suppose it depends on what you think of as hot -- 32C and humid is way too hot for me. As a reference point, I've lived in Boston, and I found Boston summers (which are pretty similar weather-wise) pretty unpleasant. You can check some local weather stats on

http://zanzibar.net/zanzibar/weather_climate

Cheers,
Julian

Patty Aug 15th, 2005 09:37 AM

At the very least, if you can only spare 3 nights for safari, consider flying one direction and only driving one way between the Serengeti and Arusha instead of driving both directions. This should allow you to stay 2 nights somewhere instead of moving every day. I agree with others though about dropping Zanzibar altogether if you can't afford more overall time.

sandi Aug 16th, 2005 05:33 AM

Zanzibar is always hot and humid. If BostonGal is indeed from Boston, then you know hot and humid. Except for the wet season, Zanzibar is an ideal place to relax after safari, but you most definitely need a/c accommodations for sleeping. During the day your will be out in the water somewhere. And if you do take a day-tour, your vehicle will be air conditioned.

However, where is your safari time? You're jumping around every day. On Tuesday, from Arusha - do you do the Crater Tour that afternoon, then continue to Olduvai Camp for overnight? Seems the only possible way.

Then move again on Wed, then back on Thurs to Olduvai; then back to Arusha.

If trying to squeeze all into 2-weeks, this itinerary is what you get, so besides the Kili portion which seems to be the primary consideration and which takes up half your time - then is safari or beach more important?

Those four safari days will knock you out... too much rushing around. And weren't you originally considering (in another thread) doing the Kili climb first?

BostonGal Aug 16th, 2005 08:12 AM

Thanks to everyone that provided feedback. We changed itins yet again (sigh).
We are now leaving a bit later in the week, and we are doing the 7night Shira climb first, then a 4night safari, and then 3 nights in Zanzibar.

oh yes, I am used to hot and humid. Growing up in CT and the past 6 years in Boston, it's just part of my summer. This year has been especially brutal. I didn't want to eliminate Zanzibar, I figured we could really use some R&R on those beautiful looking beaches!

Sandi - we tossed our itinerary around, but finally settled on the 7night Shira first, before doing the safari and beach. I am still waiting for specific details on our edited safari, but I think we are doing 1night Olduvai, 2 nights Ronjo Flycamp, and last night at Ngorongoro Crater.

Thanks again for everyone's input, this board is so helpful! I just hope that in time, I can contribute to "newbies" as much as you all have =)