Family Friendly Eqypt

Old Feb 23rd, 1999, 11:11 PM
Ann Lloyd

Family Friendly Eqypt

We are going to Egypt with two kids aged 4 and 6. Can anyone recommend activities that they might like? Are there any tour companies and hotels that cater to families? Any advice would be welcome!

Old Feb 26th, 1999, 09:44 AM
Paula

I have seen families touring Egypt with young children but neither the parents nor the children appear to be having a great time.

The climate is very oppressive with the heat and the dust which makes everyone cranky. You have to be especially careful of what you eat - both the water and the food can lead to stomach upsets so try not to frequent bazaars where the children would be tempted to eat something from the street vendors.

As far as activities, there is plenty to see in the Museum for both adults and children. All the outside temples and tombs also are intriguing for children.
However, I don't feel that children that age are going to be patient enough to enjoy the whole aspect of the trip.

They probably will be enraptured by the camels which they can ride, the goats, sheep, fowl that run wild everywhere.

I would just wish you good luck and caution not to plan long days of looking at the sights.

Old Feb 26th, 1999, 09:45 AM
Paula

I have seen families touring Egypt with young children but neither the parents nor the children appear to be having a great time.

The climate is very oppressive with the heat and the dust which makes everyone cranky. You have to be especially careful of what you eat - both the water and the food can lead to stomach upsets so try not to frequent bazaars where the children would be tempted to eat something from the street vendors.

As far as activities, there is plenty to see in the Museum for both adults and children. All the outside temples and tombs also are intriguing for children.
However, I don't feel that children that age are going to be patient enough to enjoy the whole aspect of the trip.

They probably will be enraptured by the camels which they can ride, the goats, sheep, fowl that run wild everywhere.

I would just wish you good luck and caution not to plan long days of looking at the sights.

Old Feb 26th, 1999, 09:46 AM
Paula

Old Mar 4th, 1999, 07:33 AM
Tony Hughes

I would agree with Paula. The whole reason for going to Egypt is to see the history contained therein. Children of that age will not be interested in it at all. It's not a place to take kids. They can pick up stomach bugs far easier than adults and i wouldn't think its worth the bother and hassle.

Old Mar 12th, 1999, 01:38 PM
Autumn

I have to say I agree with what everyone else is telling you. I am a buyer of Egyptian crafts and travel there quite often, Egypt is fascinating but not exactly Disney World. Some of the nicer hotels (the Marriot on Zamalek is fantastic) will have food (still be careful!) that will appeal to children as well as swimming pools and may offer babysitting services. You may want to do this (not every day) as sightseeing in and around Cairo is hot, dusty, crowded and noisy. You will find however that the Egyptians adore children and they will be welcome anywhere, although they should try and be kept quiet when entering mosques. Have fun!