Must-see towns in Egypt--?

Apr 17th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Must-see towns in Egypt--?

From what I've read, seeing Abu Simbal, Alexandria, and Aswan are musts. Am I missing something? Where is the grat pyramid and the Sphinx? That's not Abu Simbel right? I have 4 months, I want to see it all.

And also, from what I've read, there's no boat to Abu Simbal, but there is to somewhere else...which I can't remember right now.

By the way, Ill be attending AUC, and living in Zamalek on Gezira Island. Whats that like?

Apr 17th, 2005, 09:51 AM

You absolutely must go into the desert as well as the cities. You can get a desert guide to take you from Cairo or you can pick up a guide in the local towns. They include the Western Desert, the Eastern Desert and the Sinai. I've only been to 4 of the Oases in the Western Desert, but hope to return in November to see Siwa which is near the Libyan border. It has a different civilization there.

I know two Cairo based desert guides -- Magdi Hanna & Hany Amr -- whom I trust. Type in their names in the search box at the top & you'll find their email addresses.

Have fun while you're there!

Apr 19th, 2005, 11:03 AM

The main pyramids (the classic 3, the Step pyramid, Red pyramid, Bent pyramid) and the Sphynx are all in Giza - across the river from Cairo.

Abu Simbal has the lovely temples built by Ramses II. You can take a short (3 night) cruise on Lake Nasser from Abu Simbel to Aswan.

Luxor - you don't mention this, but it is a MUST - with Karnak and Luxor Temples, Valley of the Kings, Valley of the Queens, Hatshepsut's Temple, and MANY other sites.

Regular Nile cruises run between Luxor and Aswan. Both cities are worth a little extra time.

As mentioned - the desert is also a MUST!

For beach escapes - there is Sharm el Sheik (rather touristy), Hurghada, and El Gouna (plus several other smaller spots).

Don't know much about Alexandria and can't help you much with Zamalek - except I think there are some good restaurants there.

Have fun - I have spent 4 years here and STILL haven't seen everything!

Search this Thread