Reload this Page >

Garden Route Game Lodge in SA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:48 AM
afr

Has anyone been to the Garden Route Game Lodge? Any comments? How are the rooms, meals, etc. I know this doesn't compare to the lodges near Kruger, but for the price and convenience to the Garden Route looks good. Would appreciate any info. Thanks

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 08:45 AM
c

I would also be interested in hearing about this ?? Or Buffalo Hills

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Garden Route Game Lodge is a lodge to give a wide berth too no matter how cheap it is. It is an absolute waste of time. When I visited the lodge as a professional tour operator I asked the highly inexperienced game ranger whether this was a game lodge or Noah's ark in that when it came to seeing the big species of animals we only found 2 of each, that is if we found them because we never saw the elephant , leopard or buffalo that the management claimed they had on the farm. The lions were fenced into a lion camp. Yuch! Not only did I find the rangers to be inexperienced I also found them to be gung ho. The proof of the pudding is in the eating when I have to mention that in the evening 22 people went on the night game drive and we were all offered the opportunity to go on the morning game drive the next morning. Well 2 people out of 22 turned up for the morning drive. Enough said about the game drives.<BR><BR>The food and accommodation at the Lodge was pretty average and certainly not on the top 50 list of game farms.<BR><BR>Buffalo Hills is trying but is not there as yet when it comes to being a game farm, however I would recommend the farm above Garden Route Game Lodge. The game drive is a very average event at Buffalo Hills. There are however fabulous walks that one can do at Buffalo Hills and believe it or not Buffalo Hills's best attraction is its mampoer (moonshine) distillery. Incredible to say the least.<BR><BR>All in all when it comes to game viewing on the Garden Route your best bet is to go to Botlierskop near Mossel Bay. Great game drives and definitely the best in the area. http://www.venture-into-africa.co.za/botlierskop.html<BR><BR><BR>In summary, as a professional tourguide /operator who travels the Garden Route regularly, all I can say is give the Garden Route Game Lodge a miss and only go to Buffalo Hills if you cant make it to Botlierskop.<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz<BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 05:18 AM
c

Thanks for this.<BR>One further questions. Is it worth travelling the extra distance and visiting Shamwari ?

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Karen

Shamwari is a great place but you should know it is five star and the rooms are expensive even with the great exchange rate. You will probably get a slightly better rate with a tour operator where they usually have negotiated prices. It is a leader in wildlife conservation, it is malaria free territory, it does have the Big Five and trained rangers and guides who can take you on super game drives. It is worth it but only if it fits into your budget - around $400 per night give or take depending on exchange rate.<BR>Hope this helps.<BR>Karen

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 02:39 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Karens answer is spot on. If your budget suits Shamwari then visit the venue. Personally speaking if my budget was strong enough to handle Shamwari I would still give it a miss and rather visit Addo Game Park and Schotia Safaris for their wonderful tooth and claw safari. Both Addo and Schotia are in the same area as Shamwari.<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz<BR><BR>

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 11:06 AM
jenviolin

Contact Shamwari directly and ask them their rate for the time you will be visiting - I got a quote of R1700 per person which is still hefty but a far cry from $400. I decided to go to Addo Elephant Nat. Park instead; be sure to book drives ahead of time as there are never enough drives for all the guests staying in the park! 50 meters inside the game area, at dawn, an elephant just about stepped on my car. You want affordable, convenient, and bigger than life? Try Addo. If you want more animals you can combine it with a Scotia 'Tooth & Claw' or a day at Shamwari.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 03:49 AM
cc

Visited Shamwari in the past 2 weeks and was extremely disappointed by it. Its very expensive in S. African terms and is not worth it in my view.<BR>Addo on the other handy is a National Park and is a fantastic experience. My advice is to give Shamwari a miss