must see's- for limited time in Egypt

Mar 21st, 2005, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

must see's- for limited time in Egypt

I'm leaving in 4 days for Egypt. We will be arriving Cairo noontime and are scheduled to go on tour of Islamic Cairo, Coptic Churches. The next day we go on our 5-day Nile cruise Luxor to Aswan. At the end of the cruise we disembark noontime, now our flight from Aswan to Cairo is almost at midnight.

What do we do in the almost 11-12 hours in Aswan? Are the souks worth staying for? Or should we try to get a flight to Abu Simbel? I heard AS is amazing, but will we have enough time to go there and still make it for our flight?

Also, on our last full day in Cairo, we are scheduled to see the pyramids at Giza, the egyptian museum and the Khalili bazaar. Is this enough time to cram all in one day? We want to spend at least 3-4 hours shopping or browsing at the Khalili bazaar.

Do you suggest moving the Egyptian museum tour the next day (our flight leaves at 6pm)?

Help! anyone?
Mar 21st, 2005, 02:39 PM
sandi

daisy88 - It's best to do Abu Simbel early before it gets real hot. You should be able to arrange an early breakfast and off the ship to make a flight from Aswan to Abu Simbel and back to Aswan by 12N-1pm. Arrange with your tour operator to hold your bags till back from AS.

The souk in Aswan in nice and interesting and prices often less then in Cairo. There is also the Museum which is closed during mid-day heat, reopens about 4pm. And you can go for dinner. But I'd try to get an earlier flight out of Aswan. Midnight is very late, and flights are often delayed. You might not be at your hotel till 3am if not later.

As to the Museum, I'd do it the afternoon after the Pyramids and Giza in the morning. Save the shopping for your last day. This way, you buy what you haven't already found elsewhere. You can go on your own by taxi and return to hotel in time for your afternoon transfer to airport.

Mar 21st, 2005, 05:08 PM
gac1yahoo

Also, if you are in a good shape...try to get to the Giza early to get the tickets to go into the pyramid. It is really worth seeing inside the pyramid.

Mar 22nd, 2005, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick replies!
Sandi - you've been so helpful with all my queries, for a second i was hesitant in typing another query and annoy forum members with all my questions! thanks again

Search this Thread