Must Pack Items for Kruger National Park

Dec 8th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Must Pack Items for Kruger National Park

Hi,
My sister and her husband are planning to spend part of their Honeymoon in Kruger National Park (as well as Mauritius and Cape Town). I'm trying to put together a gift/package of things for them that they should absolutely have with them...so far, from doing searches, I've gathered:
mosquito repellent
safari hats
bird book
binoculars
sunscreen

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated...big or small items. Thanks in advance for your help!
Leslie
Dec 9th, 2003, 07:50 AM

Two binoculars -- they should each have their own binoculars. Unless they are on one of the ranger led walking trails, they will be in the car all day so the hat and sunscreen are not really necessary. Also add a mammal guide.
Dec 9th, 2003, 10:31 AM

What a great idea!

We found hat and sunscreen to be invaluable with our open sided vehicles (and even in the pop tops -- it was the only day I was sunburned).

* deck of cards (this was invaluable between flights)
* animal book (you can probably combine this with the bird book)
* Carmex or some type of lip balm
* film
* maybe some business-type cards with both of their new names on them (we met so many people and had to resort to tearing sheets of paper out of my journal to exchange addresses)
* a duffel bag that folds to a very small size -- we used this for all the souvenirs we purchased on the last day
Dec 9th, 2003, 01:00 PM

"Listening" avidly...

If anyone has any ideas also relevant for items useful on a 5 week South African self drive, starting with Cape Town and the Garden Route and continuing with KwaZuluNatal and Kruger, I'd be grateful. We'll be working to LOW weight limits (because of the 3 week charter flight trip following on from this) but can always buy and then sell/ give away low cost necessities if we need to.
Dec 10th, 2003, 05:09 AM
sandi

Morning and night games drives get chilly if not downright cold in those open vehicles - suggest they have a scarf, gloves, wear socks, a knit cap, a thermal-t; and don't forget the Malaria meds and other personal meds, especially for tummy-grippers.

Dec 10th, 2003, 05:50 AM

Ah yes, I'd add a roll of Tums, some Tic Tacs (or similar after the long flights) and a pair of hiking or warm socks that dry quickly.
Dec 10th, 2003, 06:15 AM

Hi there, just got back from Kruger 2 weeks ago.

1. sunscreen.
2. collapsible cooler(if they are driving on their own)
3. binoculars for each person.
4. wouldn't bother on the bird/mammal/plant guidebook. they can get it at the park specifically identifying the local life.
5. bug repellant.
6. mini alarm clock.
Dec 10th, 2003, 09:02 AM

I'd add:

A little purse size flashlight

Ballpoint pens & a blank book to use as a journal, or a small pad of paper
Dec 12th, 2003, 04:37 AM

I agree with the flashlight suggestion, but I wouldn't opt for one that is too small - make sure it is powerful enough to be useful! We used ours a lot at Kruger when walking to/from our hut to the meeting point for dawn and night drives. The one night we forgot to carry it we stumbled around the patch-dark camp for some time before making it back to our hut!
Dec 12th, 2003, 05:37 AM

Consider a supply of towelettes for washing prior to eating in the bush.
Dick
Jan 6th, 2004, 11:35 AM

probably too late, but how bout a Sarong? This is all I wore my 8 days in Mauritius over my bathing suit. Looks very islandy, and very comfy and easy to wear.

Search this Thread