Museums in Morocco - Labels in English?

Dec 20th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Museums in Morocco - Labels in English?

Hi all,

I've researched this question but haven't been able to find an answer. Does anyone know if the exhibits in museums in Morocco have labels in English, or are they just in Arabic (and/or French)?

I ask because in Tokyo we found labels in museums only in Japanese, and the same at the Louvre - which, without an audioguide in English, made it hard to learn about the art!

Thanks
Karen
Dec 20th, 2005, 11:35 PM

In general, I've found that the labels in museums are in French...but having said that, sometimes there are no labels whatsoever. Morocco is not known for its museums. That's not to say that there arent wonderful pieces to see, but the organisation and presentation are sometimes lacking.

What museums are you interested in seeing? From my experience, the medinas of Fes, Marrakech, etc. are museums in and of themselves: living breathing museums - far more enlightening than any collection you'll find.

You'll learn more about the architecture and art by visiting the ancient medersas and other sights with a good English-speaking guide. Also, some guidebooks have a very good overview of Moroccan art and architecture to help you put what you're seeing in context.

Search this Thread