Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

PAny Ideas as to how to contact Arusha Cultural Heritage Centre?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 04:29 AM
nkh
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I went on a safari in Kenya and Tanzania in June and had a wonderful time. One of our souvenir-buying stops was the Cultural Heritage Centre in Tanzania, where we purchased several items.

At the time we were concerned with suitcase limitations and didnt want to ship things, but after our return we have thought of several items we wish we had bought and have decided to order them and have them shipped, if that is possible. The items we wish to buy are not expensive, so I am not as concerned about shipping as I might have been with large wood-carvings etc.

We have been trying to find an e-mail or telephone number, or some sort of procedure for doing this, for ages now with no luck. Does anyone have contact information for the Arusha Cultural Heritage Centre?

If noone has the information currently, could someone going to Arusha and the Centre please do us a tremendous favour and find out what would be involved in us placing an order, or pick up contact information so we can make further inquiries?

Thanks very much for your help!

(and sorry about the typo in the title - I cant seem to correct the title when editing....)
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 04:42 AM
sandi

Why not try contacting the tour operator who handled arrangements for your trip - either the operator in K&T or the one you used locally at home.

The tour operator in country should have information on the Cultural Centre or your home operator can contact the K&T operator and obtain info from them. Try it!

Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:20 AM

nkh, if you find anything else out, please post it on this thread. I have also been trying to figure out how to contact them and have had no luck. I did find something about a web site in progress a while back, but whenever I went to the URL my system just hung up. Hopefully they will get that up and running sometime soon. They really have some wonderful stuff to offer.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 10:02 AM
nkh
Original Poster

Hi Sandi

Sorry I should have mentioned I have e-mailed both our tour operator and the Tanzania ground operator that they used and have received no replies as yet - not even a "we cannot help".

Hi TeresaandGreg

It is nice to know we arent the only ones that dont plan our shopping perfectly! Frustrating, though....

I will definitely post if I find anything by other means, but I think this board may be our best bet.

Old Oct 5th, 2003, 01:27 PM

Perhaps the Tanzania Tourist Board might be able to help. The email I have for that is [email protected] I am not sure if that is still good, but it may be worth a try.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 05:33 AM

We'll be making a stop there (though not until the beginning of Dec.) so I'd be happy to ask about contacting them!

Other than shop, what can one experience at the Cultural Heritage Center? Or around Arusha? We will have ten hours to pass, and are debating whether we should get a day room or whether we can spend the bulk of that time at the Cultral Center and around Arusha.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 05:42 AM
sandi

If I recall, the Cultural Center isn't in Arusha proper, but a distance away. The do give you plenty of time to shop there, but then you head onto Arusha.

Depending on how adventurous you are or whether you'll be with a guide, you can walk around Arusha. Though not a pretty city, and our guide wouldn't let two women adventure on our own, but he did take us to any of the shops we wanted - we picked up lots of spices at small grocery stores and even some clothing items from small private shops.

But if you have all those hours you might be more comfortable with a hotel with a pool - spend some time in town and then return to hotel to cool off at the pool, shower, rest a bit, and get ready for your return flight.

Old Oct 15th, 2003, 05:01 AM
nkh
Original Poster

Hooray! I have received an e-mail address and phone number for them from our local operator in Tanzania! Full credit to Predators Safaris....

I will do some experimentation on best way to order from overseas and post the results here. If I dont have much luck, I will be taking hlphilips up on his kind offer to ask them in person the best way to go about this.

More details after we actually try to order from them!
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 06:23 PM

nkh -
"her"

- Heather
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 04:44 AM
nkh
Original Poster

Whoops! Sorry Heather!

I must have a mental mix-up with someone else's ID because I am sure I knew that....

It is still a very generous offer
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 12:36 AM

Recently been in Arusha. The adress you are requesting is:
Dodoma Rd. Arusha
P.O.Box 647
Arusha. Tanzania
Phone:2507496
Mobile: 0741510429
Hope you get through.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 05:13 AM
nkh
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the information!

I tried e-mail sent to me by our tour company but that does not seem to be working (perhaps not preferred communication form). I will try telephoning and then writing.

Old Oct 29th, 2003, 07:17 AM

Hi there! - It's Deb from your safari.

Haven't heard from you - did you ever get the website up and running? I would love to see your photos. Please give me the URL.