Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Multiple PCR Covid Tests Prior to Mashatu, Ngala Tent & Kirkman's

Multiple PCR Covid Tests Prior to Mashatu, Ngala Tent & Kirkman's

Old Jan 7th, 2021, 03:14 PM
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multiple PCR Covid Tests Prior to Mashatu, Ngala Tent & Kirkman's

Hello,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Traveling to JNB from ATL on 5/12/21, arriving 5/13 needing a Covid test prior to departing US. Overnight at JNB City Lodge and departing to Madi a Thavha Mtn Lodge, Limpopo for overnight stay on 5/14. On 5/15, drive to Mashatu which requires another Covid test prior to entering. Spending 4 nights at Mashatu and will need another Covid test prior to re-entering S. Africa. Driving to Tzaneen X 2 nights, staying at King Walden Garden Manor. Then driving to Ngala Tented Camp x 3 nights, and then to Kirkman's Camp x 4 nights which again may require Covid testing. Returning to JNB on 5/28 and will need another Covid test prior to departing on that afternoon for US.

I'm exhausted just writing this thinking about all these tests! How can I simplify this trip so I can still have a quality Safari trip to see the animals, yet not be subject to so many Covid testing’s? This can potentially ruin our trip with so many requirements. BTW, I am a healthcare worker and have had 2 doses of Phizer Covid Vaccine... hubby NOT.

Would you skip Mashatu and go to another lodge in S. Africa? All my lodgings were done through andBeyond.

Please help me as I don't think I can get my $4500 deposit back. I made these reservations in April, 2020 and they are upholding this as a Global Force Majeure event. I may have the option of changing these reservations at their discretion 90 days prior to departure. What would you suggest?

Many thanks, Susan
skurre is offline  
Old Jan 8th, 2021, 05:31 AM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,531
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I have no personal experience with the PCR tests but there are many folks on Trip Advisor Africa forums who do, many who have traveled in the last few months. I would pose your questions there.

Yes, you are unlikely to get the deposit back, even with trip insurance a pandemic is not a covered event. Personally I'd reschedule for at least a year out, but I'm very risk averse and already lost one trip to Africa in 2020 that I'd booked in early 2019. I'm not booking any trips, including a return to Africa, until the vaccine is widely distributed.
amyb is offline  
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 01:33 AM
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 813
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guess there is little that anyone on the forum can advise a health care worker. I suppose you have been/ are in the thick of things related to the pandemic. What can happen in the immediate future is anybody's guess. Countries are going into the 2nd and 3rd shutdown. SA is said to have an even more contagious strain. With all this uncertainties, my advise to you would be to postpone the trip to the end of the year.
inquest is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:41 AM.