Car camping Namibia/Botswana first timer

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a family trip to Namibia in early June/midJuly for 5 weeks. We will rent a 4x4 with 2 roof tents. My family consist of me and my wife and our 2 kids (9&13).

I have never been to Africa but have been enchanted with the Etosha Pan since watching a Nat Geo program in the 70's. I live in a rugged part of Costa Rica and own an adventure company however, I admit I'm clueless here. i.e., vaccinations, truck rental costs and reputable companies, viability of finding ca,pero und logging without prior reservations and how to reserve in advance, absolute needs to bring with me from the states such as related camping gear or is it rentable there?

The following is copied from an old forum from a "Jesron" years ago but the itinerary seemed plausible and he also had children. Any feedback on some of the accommodation would be great and if there are some places which we shouldn´t miss would be nice too in addition to what an African novice might benefit knowing. Also, what did this itinerary cost, more or less, in today's currency. Will a cc work or is cash best?
Pura Vida!

1 day. Windhoek ( depending on our flight and maybe to stock up on supplies )

2: Bagatelle Kalahari game Ranch

3. Sesriem camping

4. Sesriem

5. Sesriem

6-8 SwakopmundDunedin Star /alternative Space or similiar

9-10 Damaraland Brandberg White Lady Lodge

11. Gelbingen Lodge

12-17 Etosha 2 nights Okaukejo, 2 nights Halali, 2 night Namutoni all days camping

18. Groótfontein Roys Camp or similiar

19. Rundu any good places to stay?

20-21 Ngepi camping

22-23 Bum Hill Campsite or similar

24-25 Camp Kwando (camping)

26-29 Chobe safari Lodge (camping) maybe 1 day Vic Falls

30-33 ?? What will be the easist way back to Windhoek. And we really wanna see either Africat og Cheetah Conservation Fund, but their accomdations prices are way over our limits.

34. Waterberg (camping)

35. Back to Windhoek
Old Aug 5th, 2016, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Maybe I'm doing something wrong here. Has anyone Ben to Namibia?
Old Aug 5th, 2016, 09:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just be patient -- the Africa/Middle East board is juts a little slower than the Europe or Asia forums.just
Good luck.
Old Aug 5th, 2016, 09:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
oops sorry for the typo >>the Africa/Middle East board is just a little slower than the Europe or Asia forums.<<
Old Aug 14th, 2016, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

What do you say experienced travelers? Anyone out the re willing to shed some light on my queries?mid do the same for you if you're traveling to Costa Rica. Help a newbie out porfavor.
Old Aug 16th, 2016, 03:25 AM

Canadian_Robin posted a couple of trip reports a few years ago for the areas you're considering - here are some links

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...mibia-2008.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...ugust-2008.cfm

We did a self drive but not camping - had a great time! Outside Rundu we stayed here which is combo camping/accommodation

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...go_Region.html

We picked our rental car up in Windhoek and dropped it off at the Namibian/Botswana border as taking vehicles across was too complicated/expensive and driving it back would have added too much time. I worked with Gemma Dry at Discover Namibia - she did a great job. She organized our pick up in Katima and they drove us the short distance to Kasane near Chobe.

http://www.discover-namibia-safari.net/

One thing about your time of year to travel - it can get cold at night - is it the best time of year to camp I wonder?

We loved Namibia!
Old Aug 16th, 2016, 03:38 AM

One other thing - you might have more luck posting on safaritalk.net which is much more active and has a forum dedicated just to self driving (here's a link to that but there are other trip planning threads as well)

http://safaritalk.net/forum/172-self-driving/