MTBeds is HIGHER than Elephant Plains website???

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MTBeds is HIGHER than Elephant Plains website???

I have four nights to finalize and was planning to use MTBeds.com to book 2 nights @ 2 places. I'm making notes so I can get the short list as short as possible. Have to say I was VERY surprised that the winter/low season rates on Elephant Plains own site are LESS than MTBeds. This would have to be a rare exception -- yes?

Looking at the winter/low season rates @ Elephant Plains -- maybe I should just book it directly (if they have availability) + then only have 2 nights left for MTBeds (maybe at Timbaati or Thornybush). Yes?

FWIW, the MTBeds rates are 1360 Rand PPPN for the standard suite, and 1960 Rand PPPN for the luxury suite. On the Elephant Plains website, the rates are 1060 Rand + 1760 Rand (respectively). The rates on the MTBeds site are a 'general special', not a 'last minute' (ie. 3 or 7 days before traveling) special. I would book the standard suite.

Elephant Plains seems to get pretty good feedback on the board for an economical option in the Sabi Sand and I can't see that we're likely to find something any nicer for less than 1060 Rand PPPN Of course, they make be booked up as my 2 nights are a Fri/Sat...

Thanks for any comments
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 04:37 AM

ALadyNCal,

Our family just returned from a 3 night stay at Elephant Plains and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about the lodge. It was our first trip to Africa, and our only safari, so I don't have much to compare it to, but we were extremely pleased with the accomodations and game drives.

As for finding the best rates, we used a travel company called Attractive Africa, www.attractiveafrica.co.za, based out of Cape Town. They offered the lowest rates and also had the best cancellation policy.

The four of us stayed in 2 of the luxury chalets for R1670 each. We debated whether to stay in the standard rondavels, but it was recommended by several others to upgrade to the luxury suites. We did not see the inside of the standard rondavels, but could tell by the size that the luxury ones were much larger. They had more privacy and had several french doors which opened onto a huge deck overlooking the open grassland. But only you can decide if it's worth the extra expense. Regardless of which accomodations you decide on, you'll still have the same meals, game drives and bush walks.

In reference to the deposits and cancellation policies, Attractive Africa required 10% down with the booking, and it was completely refundable until about 60 days prior to arrival. (Sorry can't remember the specifics.) Then 15% was due 60 days prior to arrival, and the balance due 30 days prior. At the time, this was much better than what Elephant Plains required.

Also, not sure when you'd be there, but should mention that they were in the process of building another luxury chalet and a new building for their spa. We were staying at the opposite end of their property and didn't even know it until we walked to the garden area to see what the standard rondavels looked like. We didn't hear any noise, but not sure if people staying close by did. Just something you may want to inquire about.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the lodge, or if you'd like me to email you any photos.

Best of luck!
Erin
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Erin -- Thanks for the info I would have to decide about the extra expense....still leaning towards the standard. Cancellation policy is not really relevant at the point -- we will be there in late May ;-) I've sent out a couple of email inquiries, but will also look at the site you recommended. Thanks
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

I did review the Attractive Africa site. Unfortunately, all the rates listed on their site are for 2004 + 2005 It seems discouraging that their site is so far out of date. I suppose when I am down to 1 or 2 places, I can email them for a quote tho -- maybe they still have great pricing.

I have found that Elephant Plains is booked for my dates -- so I'm still in the research mode.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 06:13 PM

ALadyNCal,

Another good budget option for you may be Nkorho Bush Lodge. It shares traversing rights with Djuma in a leopard rich area (which Sabi Sand area is NOT rich in leopards?).

www.nkorho.com

While I was at Vuyatela three years ago, we would often pass by Nkorho Bush Lodge and it looks like a pretty nice place.

Although you won't find these on their website, here are the rack rates that Nkorho e-mailed me when I was getting setup with them a couple months ago:

1 September 2005 to 31 August 2006 R 1 450-00 p p p n s

1 September 2005 to 31 August 2006 R 1 885-00 single supplement

1 September 2006 to 31 August 2007 R 1 595-00 p p p s

Good luck.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 07:05 PM

Erin,

We will be in Elephant Plains in August, staying in standard rondavels.

We would be very interested in any information or pictures. We would love to hear about your entire stay!

Rocco, great information!

Thanks!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Rocco, thanks. Yes, I have reading about Nkorho today + they are on the short list
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 05:09 AM

ALadyNCal,

Sorry to hear that Elephant Plains is already booked, but I'm not surprised. While we were there several people told us that they are at 85% capacity year-round due to their lower costs in comparison to other Sabi Sand lodges. Our ranger had previously worked at Simbambili, whose rates are much higher, but switched to Elephant Plains because their occupancy rates are much more consistent.

As for the outdated rates at Attractive Africa's website, I agree that it can be discouraging and frustrating, but I had noticed it with several other travel groups in Africa as well. Their culture just seems to go at a different pace, and in some ways I'm envious. Anyways, just email them if you want accurate quotes for any other lodges.

Withkids,

Aside from our son's luggage being left at Jo'burg for 2 days, our entire trip went like clockwork. We spent 9 days near Cape Town visiting our daughter who was doing a med school rotation there. Then we flew to Hoedspruit, via Jo'burg, for 3 nights at Elephant Plains. We had a car transfer from the airport to the lodge which took about 1 1/2 hours.

We arrived at Elephant Plains at about 3pm, checked in and changed clothes, and were out on our first game drive at 4pm. It started raining and it seemed like we were driving around for ever, seeing nothing for the first 2 hours. I started having second thoughts about this whole safari thing. But then within the last hour, the rains stopped and we ended up seeing 4 of the Big 5 animals (only missed the water buffalo). It was so ironic because we were later told that there was a herd of buffalo nearby just a few days earlier and one of them actually wandered onto Elephant Plains property near the main lodge somehow getting past the electrified fence. Yet this was the one animal that eluded us.

For the next few days, our typical schedule was 5:15am wake-up (by ranger knocking on door), a quick cup of coffee or tea and a biscotti, then off on game drive from 6 - 9am. We usually stopped midway for another cup of tea. When we returned to the lodge, breakfast was waiting. They usually had a buffet of cold cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt and muffins. Then they took your orders for eggs, bacon, sausage, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc. Food was very good and plentiful.

Following breakfast, we would go on a 1 hour bush walk with a ranger or tracker. The first day, we had to drive and stop periodically, always staying close to the land rover because there were so many elephants nearby. We learned about the medicinal qualities of local plants, heard about some of the Shangan (sp?) beliefs, which are the local tribe, and saw some wildlife. The highlight was seeing some bushbabies in a nearby tree. I had thought they were a gremlin-like monkey , but were actually a type of squirrel. They just looked too cute to be real.

After our walk, we would usually catch a quick nap. Some would rest by the pool, or lay out on a chaise lounge on our deck. Then lunch was at 2pm. It was another buffet with various cold salads, hot casseroles, etc. There was always a selection of about 8 dishes, and no one went hungry.

Our evening game drive was from 4 - 7pm. The landrover would hold 10 passengers, plus the ranger and tracker. Usually it was our family of 4, plus 2 to 4 others. We preferred sitting in the first or middle row. The top row was windier, had to dodge more thorn bushes, and couldn't hear the ranger as well.

Concerning those thorn bushes - I had read that one of the main advantages to staying in a private game reserve is the ability to go off-road in pursuit of animals, but I had no idea how far off road we would actually go. Nothing was off-limits, and the rangers did an amazing job of somehow parking the vehicle right next to the game, so that we could all get terrific shots. Until we got used to it, and realized the animals were not going to leap into the landrover, we almost felt too close. There were several times when I could have reached out and petted a leopard, and others when we were parked under a tree with 2 leopards up on branches about 10 ft over our heads. You can't help but get simply amazing photos.

Half way through the drive we would stop at a scenic - and safe - location for sundowners and some type of biltong (jerky).

We thought the rangers were very knowledgeable, and answered all of our questions very thoroughly. We switched rangers after our first 2 days, and did get the impression that the one that was leaving was a little burnt-out. I'm not sure how it works at other lodges, but at Elephant Plains, the entire staff works for 6 weeks straight with no time off, then they get 2 weeks of vacation. The system seems to work because most of them have families that are too far away to visit over a weekend. Having 2 weeks off allows them to make the 6 - 12 hour drive home, (they all drive so that they can keep cars with them - and probably couldn't afford airfare anyways), and get rejuvenated. The down side is that after they've been working for 40-some days straight, they are really ready for a break.

When we returned from the night drive, everyone would return to their rooms to freshen up and then meet back in the bar for cocktails. Dinner was served around 8pm. They are supposed to be held in a boma, an outdoor, circular fenced-in area with seating around a fire, but it wasn't offered every night. This was my only complaint with the lodge. Our first night it rained and they had to hold dinner in the regular dining room. But the second night was beautiful with all the stars out, and most of the guests agreed that the lodge just didn't want the hassle of setting up dinner in the boma that night. So the following day several of us told the staff that we "really" hoped dinner would be served in the boma that night, and it was. The outdoor dining provided a completely different atmosphere and it was a great way to spend our last night in Africa.

The food was again served buffet-style and would consist of an appetiser, salad, several vegetable selections, and 2 choices of a beef, chicken or fish dish, followed by dessert and coffee/tea. Many of the dishes were very similar to regular American foods, and we found the traditional African dishes to be quite good as well. Our daughter has celiac disease (can't eat anything with gluten, i.e. breads, pasta, pastries, crumb toppings, and most sauces) and the chef did a great job of preparing special dishes for her.

Overall we were very pleased with our stay there. The luxury chalets were very spacious, nicely furnished and very clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. For most of our meals we were joined by a ranger and/or one of the girls that run the office. So we had a lot of time to learn about the country and the people. Our daughter was spending another week traveling throughout SA and the staff provided her with names and numbers of friends in some of the cities she was going to visit.

The wildlife was amazing and far-exceeded our expectations. We saw elephants everywhere, numerous giraffes, leopards on almost every drive, a million impala, wildebeasts, rhinos, vervet monkeys, baboons, unfortunately only one lion - and finally on our last drive we found 4 water buffalo (to check-off the last of the Big 5).

Well, I'm afraid this turned out much longer than desired. Please let me know if there's something in particular that I overlooked that you want more info on. I may attempt to post some photos online for friends to view, but it may take awhile for me to figure the process out. In the mean time, if you want me to send you photos of the lodge, just give me your email. Hope this helps and that you and your family have as great an experience as we did.

Erin

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 07:53 PM

Erin,

I would love to email with you!

My email address is pbs_tempmail@yahoo
.com

Thanks!