MTBEDS--Flight planning?

Dec 27th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

MTBEDS--Flight planning?

Although my wife and I are still leaning towards Zambia for the safari portion of our upcoming vacation in April, we are also considering looking for a last minute deal on MTBEDS for a Kruger or Sabi Sands safari. If I was able to arrange a last minute Kruger or Sabi Sands safari, however, I am not sure that I would be able to procure the necessary air travel. It looks like SAA only has 2 flights in and out of Hoedspruit per day in April, and the price I'm getting from the SAA website is $360 per person round trip. Should I just pick up these round trip tickets now and hope for the best, or should I wait and try to procure tickets within 2 weeks of our travel (in which case they may be sold out or even more expensive). Is there another "more central" airport that I should consider flying into, or do you think Hoedspruit will offer me the most opportunities? I'm not a gambling man, and $720 sounds like alot to lose if MTBEDS does not come through. Thanks in advance for your help--if any of you ever travel to NYC I would be happy to return the favor!
Glenn
Dec 27th, 2005, 12:48 PM

glennman,

Most likely, by the time you include the road transfers to the Sabi Sand lodge, you will save nothing by going with an MTBEDS last minute special instead of Zambia. Road transfers in Zambia are included in the tariff.
Dec 27th, 2005, 02:00 PM

Glenn
Nelspruit is closer to most of the lodges than Hoedspruit and has more flights (also cheaper) each day. We paid I think around $180 each RT. I have used mtbeds twice now, and can't say enough good things about them. JoAnne handled our reservations both trips for Sabi Sands, JNB & CPT and all communication (very detailed) thru to booking was a breeze. We have been in March as well as November and had numerous places to choose from, so I don't think you would have a problem in April.
If you are up to driving on the wrong side of the car and road, I would rent a car at the airport. It's as cheap as the tranfers and you can cut over to Blyde River Canyon and Pilgrims Rest area...Spectacular. Roads are fine and we had no concerns of safety during the day, but I would get to any destination before dark, just in case of the odd flat tire. But, you're a New Yorker, I don't need to tell you to be street smart. Hope this helps.
Oh yeah...Yankees SUCK!

Search this Thread