Mt Sinai

Aug 15th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Mt Sinai

Has any been to Mt Sinai? What is it like? How hard is the hike? Is the hike worth it? Can you tell me something about the Monestary hotel?
Aug 16th, 2004, 03:36 AM

I did this hike in Jan 2003 and really enjoyed it. Usually people hike it in the dark to make it up to see the sunrise, but I went late morning as I had been diving the day before.

There are two ways up, the stairs and the camel trail. I hiked up the camel trail and came back down the stairs. I would say the camel trail is moderate difficulty, a little harder than my lonely planet had me believing. The stairs however are quite steep and slippery, I am not sure I would have made it up that way. There are some steep parts on the camel trail, but they are doable.

Sorry don't know anything about the hotel.
Aug 16th, 2004, 05:28 AM

Can't help you with the hotel, however,
I did this hike in April 2003. It was one of the coolest things I've ever done. Starting out at around 1:30am, I hiked the camel trail, a winding, gradually rising trail, which, half way up became much steeper, finally ending with about twenty minutes or so going straight up. Along the way are little resting areas where you can get hot or cold drinks and snacks for ten times the normal price. At the top there are guys renting blankets and mattress pads (people often spend the night there).
The view as the sun rises is sublime. The peaks of the Sinai in the morning light is extraordinary.
As for temperature, in Sharm that day it was mid eighties, on Mt Sinai that night there was a light frost. Dress in layers and bring a change of shirt as you will sweat on the way up, and then sit in the cold as you wait for the sun. So change, wrap up in the blanket, and enjoy.

Kelly mentioned diving. I did this hike after having dived the previous afternoon. While I had no trouble on the hike, I later came to find out that this was a stupid thing to do. One should not dive and then go to altitude in a 24 hour period.
Aug 16th, 2004, 06:40 AM

We did this hike in September 2001, and the descriptions above say pretty much all there is to say about it. We found it to be taxing but not overly strenuous, and it was definitely worth the effort.
We stayed in the "St. Katherine's Inn," which may or may not be the lodge you are asking about. It was nice, with individual cabins and a decent restaurant, but it was fairly rustic. We enjoyed it, but it definitely isn't luxurious like a major hotel in a big city.

Search this Thread