Mt. Sinai

Mar 5th, 2004, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Mt. Sinai

I'm interested in climbing Mt. Sinai during my upcoming trip. I know that it's common to hike up in the middle of the night in order to witness the sunrise from the top, but someone once told me it's possible to go up during the day and then spend the night. Has anyone done this lately?
Mar 5th, 2004, 12:31 PM
sandi

Yes, there are some who choose to climb late in the afternoon to see the sunset. But it gets very cold on top, regardless time of year, and there really isn't anywhere to sleep unless you bring your sleeping bag. And I can't say whether one is allowed to stay overnight.

It also depends on time of year that you plan to do the climb. The days are, of course, longer in the summer, but it's also a very hot then, but you have more time in light to climb.

I'd check with the hotel you'll be staying at or the tour operator re how you can arrange either climb, cost, etc.

Mar 16th, 2004, 09:26 AM

I don't know if this helps any, but with the tour we are signed up for in September/October it says that to see the sunrise at 5:00am you need to start climbing at 2:00am. I think we'll be doing it.
Apr 28th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

To answer my own question:

The van left my Sharm hotel at midnight. Our climb began around two AM, and I reached the top around four. During the day the Sinai temp was around 80 degrees. On the mountain top that night there was a light frost.

If you climb in the afternoon to see the sunset and then stay to see dawn, there are mattress and blanket rentals (3$) near the mountain top. Hot tea/coffee is also available.

Search this Thread