Mt. Kilimanjaro Routes

Oct 1st, 2004, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Mt. Kilimanjaro Routes

Hi,

Four of us are going to Tanzania at the end of the year/beginning of next year. We plan on trekking up Mt. Kilimanjaro around the 1st of January and are trying to decide what route we should take. We are all city folk and have no interest in being around a lot of people on our trip. So, we would like to take a route that is not very crowded and has good scenery.

We are all in our late 20's/early 30's and are in decent shape. We have experience trekking, but have never done so for longer than a weekend. At this point we're trying to decide between the Machame route and Rongai route. I think that we are going to go with Roy Safari's.

Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:06 AM

New Years is an extremely busy time on the mountain. I am afraid you will be seeing other groups.

I have climbed Kili twice; once western breach route and once Machame. I can say Western Breach had far fewer people.

I have read, however, that Rongai is the least used of the trails. Perhaps the trailhead is harder to reach, I dont know. But if your main goal is to be with fewer people, I would choose that route.

Kili is not a technical climb, however the altitude makes it more difficult. We took 6 days to reach the summit. I would not plan on fewer days that that because you just cannot speed acclimatization.

It will be cold. Down parka cold. I did climb once in January, and we were in snow form the 16,000 elevation on.

I would post your question on the Lonely Planet/ Thorn Tree Forum. I am sure you will get more responses.

You will have a great time. Wish I could join you!
Oct 3rd, 2004, 01:08 AM

Hi

I went to Kili in September last year and went trekking on the Machame route. In fact, it is exactly one year since I came to the top of Uhuru peak I have posted a long trip report on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com which includes a day by day diary, review of equipment that I used, links to Kili sites, budget, lots of pictures etc. I hope that you can find some useful information there. Get in touch if you have any questions or comments

Regards
Gard
STavanger, Norway
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:47 AM

Gard,
Thanks for that great report on Kili. Very detailed and lots of useful info.

I have an opportunity to climb in July of '05 and have been going back and forth whether to do it or not.

If you don't mind me asking, what outfitter did you use for the trek?

Your report provided lots of insight on the trek. Made for enjoyable reading. Thanks again.

Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:03 AM

Hi

I'm not sure I understand you question...what do you mean by "what outfitter did you use for the trek?" Give me some more details and I'll try my best to answer

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
http://gardkarlsen.com
Oct 3rd, 2004, 01:10 PM

Hi Gard,
What I meant by "outfitter" was what tour operator or company you used for the trek? There are so many companies out there pushing Kili climbs and it sounds like you used a very good one.

If you'd rather email the info, that would be OK too. You can reach me at
[email protected]

Thanks

Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:40 PM

Hi

We used Marangu hotel. I have written a bit about this on my homepage

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
http://gardkarlsen.com
Oct 4th, 2004, 04:43 AM

Hi Gard,
Must have missed that one when reading your home page the first go round.
Looks like I skimmed too quickly over that part. It's unusual to see hotels also hosting treks.

Thanks again.

Search this Thread