Mt. Kili and safari: Beware of Black Mamba!

Jul 31st, 2007, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Mt. Kili and safari: Beware of Black Mamba!

Returned a couple of weeks ago from climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro and a safari in the Serengeti. Climb and safari was incredible! However, our trip was soured by the touring company that we hired, Black Mamba, which is based out of Arusha. Long story short, when we got to the base of Mt. Kili to start our climb after driving 2 hours to get there our guide tells us the owner Leonard Lomayani did not give him enough money can he have $300 from myself and my friend. We thought it was a bit shady, but we were at base camp with few options and Leonard said he would pay us back. Long story short, not only did we not get our money but the same thing happened at two of the parks we went to for the safari. Each of us ended up having to give him an extra $385 in order to do what we had already paid him up front for. Leonard and Black Mamba are extremely manipulative, lying crooks. Beware! Do not want this to happen to anyone else!
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:26 AM

sorry to hear this. Amazing how some people can be so dishonest. Luckily your experience seems to be pretty rare for East Africa. Stupid of Mr. Lomayani. Word over the Internet can destroy a person's reputation pretty quickly.

Thanks for posting the warning.

Kevin from California
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

On the bright side of things, I can still walk away from this trip and say it was great. Certainly not because of Black Mamba, but because of the amazing things I saw and experienced. Would have been nice to have been treated respectfully and had my money back, but don't want this to define my trip and don't want anyone else to be screwed by Black Mamba.
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:58 PM

How about a trip report for us? Please tell us about your climb and the good experiences you had.