Mt Kenya Safari Club

Aug 30th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Mt Kenya Safari Club

Is it worth paying a premium to stay in the Riverside Cottage for $37 pp over the standard room? One night only.
Aug 30th, 2006, 05:46 PM

Only if you plan to spend some time in the cottage. It is quite a long walk from the main part of the hotel to the cottages (especially if it rains) but they have a bedroom, sitting room (with a fireplace in the wall between the rooms - very romantic) and a magnificent bathroom with sunken tub, huge shower, double sink and a raised toilet. My favourite time in the main lounge of the hotel was around 6pm, sinking back into a large leather armchair with a cocktail, facing the huge windows, watching the ever changing cloud formation drifting over Mount Kenya in the distance. Just beautiful.
Aug 31st, 2006, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. Look forward to that cocktail!
Aug 31st, 2006, 01:23 PM

Yes, I would pay the extra 37 myself, but OldeBrit is right - if you are not in the cottage for too long, the walk is quite a ways from the main building - I think.... as we took the shuttle all the time I couldn't tell you how far away it was come to think of it!
You can call the front desk and just order up a shuttle whenever you want to go to the main building.
I loved the cottage though - the deck (the 10 min I got to sit on it) was wonderful. Each cottage has 3 seperate units which can be converted into one family unit. Ours didn't have the seaparate sitting room & bedroom that OldeBrit spoke of - but it sure had that luxurious tub & bathroom! And the fireplace of course.
Yes, I would spend the extra $37 - I'd also increase my time from 1 to 2 days there as it provides a good 'relaxation' breather from early mornings & go-go-go that we LOVED but did get pretty tired from, on our safari days!
And if you really didn't want to relax - there is plenty to do there - golf, horseback riding, tennis, shopping, the animal orphanage, or trips to Sweetwaters or Ol Pejata - all really easy to arrange from the club.
Yep, 2 days..... at least.
Aug 31st, 2006, 02:51 PM

Ditto to LyndaS but don't forget, it's $37 per person, per night extra - I think maybe I'd prefer a few more cocktails in that lovely leather armchair! Plus, you can have a wonderful cream tea at 4pm in the same lounge - served by white gloved waiters too. Oh, how utterly decadent. We always walked from the cottage to the main lodge and on the way, fed those magnificent, huge Cranes and Ibises that were always walking the lawns. The Cranes were almost as tall as me but so gently took the bread out of my hand.

Search this Thread