Mt. Kenya Club/Sweetwaters vs. Governor's Camp?

Jul 20th, 2001, 08:44 PM
Kara

Mt. Kenya Club/Sweetwaters vs. Governor's Camp?

I am planning a trip to Kenya and will be hiking Mt. Kilimanjaro. After the hike, we would like to spend a couple of days at either Mt. Kenya Safari Club/Sweetwaters or Governor's Camp/Little Governor's Camp? Can anyone recommend which one would be better? We would like to do a couple of game drives and maybe even horseback ride. We would like nice accomodations/tents that are semi-private and as close to the animals/nature as possible! Thank you!

Jul 21st, 2001, 07:00 PM
Al

We can't speak from experience about the camps you cited but we did stay at the Mt. Kenya Safari Club a few years ago. It meets none of your requirements. Instead, it is a country-club-like setting. Lovely, manicured grounds. Superb main club house. Splendid food in main dining hall. Deluxe cottages with fireplaces, hot showers, and all the amenities of home. Gorgeous flowers and gardens. No animals other than some wandering ibis and cranes. If it's wildlife you seek, Mt. Kenya Safari Club won't help.

Jul 22nd, 2001, 07:59 PM
Hans

We were in Kenya last year and I would strongly disadvise staying at the Mt. Kenya Safari Club--although the grounds and the main building were nice, the rooms needed some serious work and, as Al mentioned, there are no animals in sight--save for a few birds and the injured animanls at Stephanie Power's zoo which is on the grounds. While I have heard good things about Sweetwaters, the Masai Mara is amazing and should not be missed. We did not stay at the Governor's Camp but have been told they are very nice. We stayed at Olanana--Abercrombie & Kent's new luxury tented camp and it was amazing--I would highly recommend it. For me, based on what you are looking for, there is no question that the Mara is a better choice. Have a great trip!

Search this Thread