Mozambique, Benguerra Island ?

Oct 23rd, 2003, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Mozambique, Benguerra Island ?

Hi. Anybody been to the Benguerra Island Lodge in Mozambique? How is the lodge? How is the diving? Looking for feedback.
Thanks/Aarti
Oct 24th, 2003, 03:36 PM

We just returned from Benguerra Island about a month ago - went for our honeymoon (along with Makweti Lodge in SA). The lodge is nice, but basic. You're really paying for the remoteness and exclusivity. We could walk on the beach for hours and see noone. I have many pics I could share. Our chalet was very private and had no door or windows, just shades.

We went in mid-september, which we were told was optimal for weather. While it was warm, it was quite windy, making the diving marginal. The wind finally died on our last day when we couldn't dive (we were flying), but the snorkling on 3 mile reef was fantastic. Very rough water - most divers and snorkelers seasick by the return.

I'd be happy to share more details on the lodge with you. While we had a very nice time, we felt it was a bit overpriced for the service - my expectations were a bit too high, I'm afraid!

I'm happy to answer any specific questions you might have.
Oct 24th, 2003, 04:34 PM

We're thinking of diving in Mozambique for a few days ex Kruger/Mpumalanga area. How can we get to the Mozambique coast? (Drive to Maputo? Return to Johannesburg then fly to Maputo? Then what, ex Maputo?) Would appreciate your thoughts.
Aug 25th, 2004, 07:31 AM

Kellymac - you still surfing this forum? I'd be interested in hearing more about your experience!

Search this Thread