Moving to Oman

Aug 18th, 2002, 02:45 PM
melba

Moving to Oman

My son is accepting a job with Shell Oil in Oman. Can anyone tell me about the living conditions there? Dress restrictions? Any safety concerns? Food and housing options? Any information would be helpful. Thank you.

Aug 21st, 2002, 08:47 AM
Sandra

I've beenliving here for a year and can tell you that it is expensive here. Housing is nice and most places are quite large. With the exception of skimpy clothes there aren't many restrictions on how you dress here. Shorts can be worn when engaging in sports, but discouraged at other times. Women feel more comfortable in one-piece bathing suits unless at the big intenrational hotels, where bikinis are worn. The driving here is pretty crazy, they have a high incident of accidents. That would be the biggest dnger here - getting in a traffic accident. The Omanis are quite polite. Most of the lower jobs are held by people from India or Pakistan. The biggest disadvantage to me is the control the government has over all aspects of life here. You have to get permission from the gov. to get hooked up for Internet and they censor what you can access. If you have an accident (even if its hitting your own fence) the gov. has to give you a paper before you can find any car repair work can be done. I'm sure you son knows it is VERY HOT here for most of the year, but quite nice from November to April. They have beautiful beaches here and there is hardly any crime. Hope this helps some of your questions.

Aug 25th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Melba

Thank you for the information, Sandra. Should we be concerned with terrorism or kidnapping in Oman?

Search this Thread