Moving to Cairo

Aug 15th, 2000, 02:05 PM
Joey

Moving to Cairo

I may be moving to Cairo for 18 months, on business. Can anyone share their opinions with me?

Aug 16th, 2000, 06:59 AM
Dick

Much of what we saw in Cairo during recent tour of Egypt was from window of bus. But, prepare yourself for culture shock. Much of city, particularly apartments in outlying areas take on appearance of photos I recall from WWII bombed out cities. The garbage and trash and smog were certainly noteworthy. But, for opportunity to be there and see place in more depth may be a positive experience of a lifetime. I would also mention how laid back things often are and such was reflected by our local guide. Cairo seemed to be very congested and still recovering from aftermath of nationalization years ago. I don't know if I would want to be there for 18 months but a lot would depend on your situation (location, profession, etc). Certainly will put you close to many, many sites and opportunities. Good Luck

Aug 22nd, 2000, 08:35 PM
Crelly

Joey, you must go to www.touregypt.net and post this question there. Several people that frequent the site have moved to Cairo and I know they can offer a lot of insight and advice. They were very helpful for my trip this past year.

I was really puzzled by the site of so many apartment buildings that had people living in the lower floors but the upper floors had a forest of rebar jutting out to the sky. Well, I was told later it has something to do with taxes. As long as they are "working" on the building it's safe from those taxes. Sooo, almost every building in Egypt looks like it's had its top blown off!! And as Dick said, be REALLY prepared for culture shock!

Aug 28th, 2000, 08:45 AM
rck

Been there. Done that for 2 years. Do it if you have the chance. After 330 days in country you should be tax free except for FICA. You can only stay 35 days a year out of country. Your last 6 months will be prorated. Stay outside of Cairo. They have suburbs. Maadi is cool. Sort of a garden district. They have a softball field that is active on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Maybe your company sponsors a team. We taught the Brits to play. G Dynamics used to run the concession. Go just for fun or a close to home burger. Although many American style restaurants have opened you will have to find a beer fairy. Although I heard a brewery bought the old Stella Beer and improved it quite a bit. Used to smell of formaldahyde. You will never regret going. I had a wife and child. I loved it but they were tepid. If you are going to make money I can offer some tips. E-mail me with questions if you want. Also can provide info on how to stay healthy. Not tourist info but ex pat info. Good luck.

Search this Thread