mosselbay and knysna

Jan 8th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

mosselbay and knysna

we will be in capetown area in feb - need advice on sidetrips - also advice on golf and diving thank you
Jan 8th, 2006, 04:34 PM

Elizabeth172

How long will you be in Cape Town and how many days do you have available for "sidetrips"

How relative to the below definitions do you define a sidetrip?

a. Staying in Cape Twn and doing day trips out of the city

b. Packing up in Cape Town and travelling to other towns or cities.

I suspect that your definition is "b" as the heading to your mail reads "Mossel Bay and Knysna". These two places cannot be visited as a day trip out of Cape Town however you might well be under the impression that they could be visited on a day and then your definition would revert to "a".

Please define your thoughts a little bit further relative to the above and then I am sure that other Fodtrites including myself will be able to help you further.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Jan 9th, 2006, 04:03 AM

Hi Elizabeth,

LOL, do you have 2 weeks to spend, 'cause you may need it!

Here's a couple of suggestions:

- In Cape Town itself, the table mountain is a must, as is the waterfront; great shopping, great restaurants, great atmosphere. I would also visit the botanical gardens if I were you; beautiful!

- Also nearby; cape of good hope (you know; the "point". Not the farthest south one can get, but it IS considered "the tip of Africa". There's a small NP there, with some great walks to be made. Birds, monkeys, klipdassies (dunno what they're called in English), etc... Great views too. And while you're there, make sure to visit that beach where all the penguins are (locals will be able to help you out). You can also rent a boat and go to robben island (not the real Robben Island, just some islands with lots of seals (robben, in Dutch). Come to think of it; the "real" Robben islands is a great trip too (the island with the prison where Nelson Mandela was held)

- In the area: Knysna is a nice town with some souvenir shops etc... but in front of Knysna lies featherbed island, a nature reserve with great flora. Fauna too of course (well; lizards, crickets, birds, etc... no lions or anything, LOL). You get to the island by boat, then go up the hill with a small train of some sort (a tractor actually), and then you get a long walk back down again. as a said; really great nature, and great vistas too. Don't miss this!

- Also cool; the “Outeniqua Choo Tsjoe” train and train museum.

- Or going out on the ocean to see some whales. Mossel bay is nice for that, and it's also got the Diaz museum (he first set foot on land there I think).

- Swellendam is great too; a REALLY beautifull town with a lovely little church. And it's got this museum with old "Holland" farmer stuff.

- A great day-trip is Oudshoorn & surroundings. The town itself is nice, but make sure to visit an ostrich farm too! And also in the neighbourhood; the Cango caves, and a cheetah farm (forgot the name). We did all this in one day, and it was great!

As you can see; a lot to do here. I even forgot some trips. Like the wine region. Or that park that has a lot of elephats. I believe it's called "Addo", but I don't know how far it is from Cape Town.

Ciao,

Jochen
Jan 10th, 2006, 02:32 AM
abk

We drove through Mossel Bay -not worth staying in, and you won';t see whales in Feb. anyway. Knysna is quite nice, but 20mins from the Plettenberg area which has lovely beaches and a lovely walking trail at Robberg which will allow you to see seals and dolphins.

Search this Thread