Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Mosquitos in Sept/Oct? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/mosquitos-in-sept-oct-495983/)

KathyAZ Jan 17th, 2005 06:07 AM

Mosquitos in Sept/Oct?

We'll be on safari in Zimbabwe and Botswana in mid Sept to early Oct. Anyone know the mosquito situation at the camps during that time? Do the Wilderness Safari camps provide repellent?

Kavey Jan 17th, 2005 06:08 AM

WS camps provide citronella based repellent cream as well as room sprays.

I'd still recommend bringing your own supply of 50% DEET spray incase you are like me and able to attract the single mosquito still alive in the entire area who then feasts on you for the entire duration of the stay...

KathyAZ Jan 17th, 2005 01:18 PM

Thanks Kavey. Have you been there in Sept/Oct? I'm hoping that since it should be dry then that maybe the mosquitos won't be too bad.

sandi Jan 17th, 2005 01:35 PM

Between now and then one can't really tell what the weather will be like. Remember that often you are on or near water, and though it isn't the rainy season it might be humid. I'm with Kavey, bring your own repellent against mosquitos and any other flying things. And it's best you bring something with which you have familiarity and may have used previously - know if it's agreeable to your skin-type, etc.

Kavey Jan 17th, 2005 02:11 PM

No, I went in May both times which is winter and meant to be the best time to go to NOT encounter the little buggers.

And we'd still turn up to a camp to be told they hadn't seen any mossies around for at least a couple of weeks only to find at least 10 new bites within 24 hours...

:D

mjulius1 Jan 25th, 2005 12:18 PM

Hi Kathy. We were just in Botswana, Zimbabwe and SA this past Sept/Oct., at almost exactly the same time of year you will be going. We had no problem at all with mosquitos, and my wife usually gets bit no matter where we go. That said, we did take malaria prophylaxis, and we used DEET-based repellant (our own) when in the Delta. Better safe than sorry, I say, but you should have no problem at all.

KathyAZ Jan 25th, 2005 05:13 PM

Thanks mjulius1. I'm glad to hear the mosquitos weren't a problem. We will take precautions however. We've been to Kenya and Tanzania and have not had problems with mosquitos. But the tsetse flies in Tanzania (mostly at Tarangire) were very bad. I was the only one that didn't get bit. I didn't do anything in particular - they just didn't like me!

KathyAZ Jan 25th, 2005 05:15 PM

Mjulius1, I posted that reply to quick - I meant to ask you how your trip was? Did you post a trip report here?

mjulius1 Jan 26th, 2005 05:39 PM

Hi Kathy. We had an incredible trip and, yes, I posted a trip report when we returned. See "Just back: Sandibe, Jao and Tintswalo." This was our first time in the Okavango Delta, and we will definitely be going back. Have a great trip!