Search

Women travelling in Egypt

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 1996, 05:31 AM
Andrew

Women travelling in Egypt

You will be hassled, no doubt. Having said that, almost all tourists to Egypt receive a lot of unwanted attention from touts, etc., but it is worse for single women. I wouldn't let that dissuade you, however, since a trip to Egypt can be thrilling. Several years ago I traveled through Egypt for a month with two women who had already spent several weeks in Egypt on their own. They said that they had to put up with an awful lot of proposals, and advances, but they never felt threatened. At the same time, they were glad to travel with a man for a while, simply to escape the constant aggravations. You should be fine on your own as long as you keep your wits about you and never knowingly put yourself in risky situations. Have a good trip.

Old Oct 28th, 1996, 06:35 PM
l.martin

Four years ago, myself and 2 other female friends travelled to greece and egypt. We were essentially on our own but had arranged for tour guides to meet us at airport and take us to some day trips (Museum,mosques,pyramids,etc) and it was helpful to have him take care of certain things like that and we were never hassled and he was helpful in explaining things we might have not known on our own. The huge tours with 30 or more people would be horrendous we had a taste of that on our nile cruise. When we were on our own (again pyramids,marketplace,hotel) we weren't hassled much-taxi drivers tried to rip us off and storekeeper wanted to trade 1 friend for several camels.......but nothing really bad. Just use good sense and it will be the most memorable trip you've ever had

Old Nov 8th, 1996, 01:41 PM
Ann Romeril

I want to thank you both for your replies. We opted for a tour in the end, we needed the added safety to convince ourselves we could do this. However, we will be on our own for a little while when we get there and I will remember your advice.

Cheers!

Old Dec 16th, 1996, 06:50 PM
Gene Kasprzyk

Ann,
If you have returned from your trip to Egypt, or when you return please take the time to let me know how things went. I amn planning a trip for Christmas, 1997 and would appreciate your take on Egypt as it is now. i was last there in 1992 and had a wonderful time. I'm wondering how you were treated, where you stayed, stuff like that . E-mail me if you wish.

Thanks for your time. Gene

Old Dec 30th, 1996, 08:01 PM
Debra Porter

I am leaving on January 12, 1996 for a trip to Egypt with another female friend. We have looked everywhere for a copy of Fodor's guide to Egypt as we use these on all our trips and fing them extremely helpful. Unfortunately every store we have tried is sold out. We evern tried Fodor's
800# and they were sold out. If anyone has a copy that they would be willing to send me I would be glad not only to pay you for it but to pay for you to FEDEX it to me. Please help if you can

Old Jan 8th, 1997, 07:40 AM
Gene Kasprzyk

Debra,

I have a 1985 Fodor's Egypt. Best I can do. E-mail me quick.

Gene

Old Mar 21st, 1997, 08:23 PM
FERNANDO LOMELI

I AM TRYING TO PLAN A TRIP TO EGIPT, I THINK THE BEST WAY IS FLY TO PARIS OR MADRID, STAY THER 1 OR 2 DAYS, THERE FIND A TRAVEL AGENCY FOR BUY A TRIP TO EGIPT INCLUDING A RIVER CRUISE. I DON'T KNOW IF IS THE BEST WAY. CAN YOU HELP ME TO PLAN MY TRIP.
THANKS
FERNANDO

Old Apr 22nd, 1997, 12:27 PM
Gene Kasprzyk

Debra,
How was your trip to Egypt? Am planning me third visit in December. Look forward to hearing from you?

Gene