Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Morroco last Christmas! (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/morroco-last-christmas-268605/)

charlene Oct 26th, 2002 06:27 AM

Morroco last Christmas!

In response to a request posted below, we went on a coach tour (private group of 25 Canadians) to Morocca last Christmas. We flew into Casablanca, and hit all the major spots - agadir, Essaouira, Safi, Casablanca, Rabat, Fez,Meknes, and finally the best (imho) Marrakesh...wish we had more time in Marrakesh - loved the souks (bazaars), all the sightseeing - the mosques (from the outside) and the palaces...loved it and had a great time - best shopping (and haggling) brought back two beautiful rugs. Only complaints were too much bus time and too much jumping around to all the hotels!

Tony Montana Nov 9th, 2002 08:08 PM

I have my honeymoon coming up in Marrekesh in December. Sounds like a great place. I was curious about the weather when you were out there. Right now it's in the 80's will it still be warm in Dec or will it cool down alot by then. my wife to be things we are going to somewhere in Europe..... but I figured honeymoon = somewhere exotic and far removed from what I'm used to. I'm hoping she'll be pleasantly suprised. Let me know if you have any other tips for us. We'll be there for 5 days.

charlene Nov 9th, 2002 09:08 PM

We had a few days of heavy rain (the bus got stuck once in the mud) but the rest of the time it was ok (a bit cool for swimming outside, but the hotel pools were open (I didn't see anyone swimming). Nights cooled down a bit. Usually got away with a light shirt and pants for the day, and threw on a light polar fleece for the evenings. Marrakesh was definitely exotic. But if she thinks she is going to Europe this is a big change - don't know if I would want to be tht surprised. Some of the people on our trip really didn't care for any part of Morroco - they didn't like the food mostly, and later said they would have rather gone elsewhere (we all live in Europe)..l.

Tony Montana Nov 10th, 2002 09:11 AM

Charlene, thanks for your prompt response. It's much appreciated. My fiancee and I are from the UK but she wants me to suprise her so i reckon I have a get out of jail card right there.:) <BR>Infact I get the sense that she'll be very excited when she discovers where we are actually going. She's very adventurous ( she's marrying me for one)<BR>You said no one liked it much, not you though. The food was pretty safe though? Just a little boring I guess from what I read.

Tony Montana Nov 10th, 2002 12:11 PM

Charlene, thanks for your prompt response. It's much appreciated. My fiancee and I are from the UK but she wants me to suprise her so i reckon I have a get out of jail card right there.:) <BR>Infact I get the sense that she'll be very excited when she discovers where we are actually going. She's very adventurous ( she's marrying me for one)<BR>You said no one liked it much, not you though. The food was pretty safe though? Just a little boring I guess from what I read.

Chris Nov 10th, 2002 03:58 PM

Hi Charlene,<BR>I was wondering if you have also visited Jordan and/or Syria? If so, how do these 2 places compare to Morocco. I can't decide which of the 3 places to visit.

charlene Nov 11th, 2002 05:59 AM

Congrats! I think tht the ones on our tour didn't like it because the food they like is pretty bland (meat &amp; potatoes and that's it) whereas I thought the food was great - lots of fresh fish, cooked with a variety of spices...make sure you try a tangine (meal cooked in a clay pot) and of course the sugar pigeon pie (sounds disgusting, but was really neat) as you see I am pretty adventuresome too...We are a bunch of Canadians living in Germany, and some of our group complain about the food here too - if you can imagine. I am sure you will have a lovely time. Marrakesh is a very romantic spot!

charlene Nov 11th, 2002 05:59 AM

Tony....Congrats! I think tht the ones on our tour didn't like it because the food they like is pretty bland (meat &amp; potatoes and that's it) whereas I thought the food was great - lots of fresh fish, cooked with a variety of spices...make sure you try a tangine (meal cooked in a clay pot) and of course the sugar pigeon pie (sounds disgusting, but was really neat) as you see I am pretty adventuresome too...We are a bunch of Canadians living in Germany, and some of our group complain about the food here too - if you can imagine. I am sure you will have a lovely time. Marrakesh is a very romantic spot!

charlene Nov 11th, 2002 06:01 AM

To Chris - no I haven't visited Syria or Jordan, can't with my job...closest I have been is Egypt, Israel and Cyprus - all lovely places, can't wait to go back!

Marc and Day Nov 14th, 2002 07:19 AM

...Has anyone been to Morocco during Ramadan? My fiance and I are forced to travel this November, we're considering Morocco and would appreciate any info re this.<BR><BR>Thanks.