Morocco with the kids

May 15th, 2000, 05:17 AM
expat

Morocco with the kids

Hi all,
We're planning to go to Morocco in October with our two girls aged 3 and 6. We have about 6 days and wondered if anyone could suggest an itinerary that was neither too ambitious nor too dull. We're considering 4 nights in Marrakech and 3 nights in Agadir. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

May 16th, 2000, 06:11 AM
elvira

I've not been to Agadir, but 3 days in Marrakech is about right. Though I'm a big fan of independent travel, I recommend you hire an official guide (not one of the touts from the train station) through the tourist office or your hotel. For a whole day, we paid $25 (two years ago). These guides have to pass exams on history, culture, religion, government, etc. and really give you so much information. Especially in the medina, they are invaluable.

There are donkey and horsecarts for hire (like taxis), and if your guide doesn't suggest it, ask if one can be hired for the day's touring.

There are various places to ride a camel; do it. It's very weird... we actually rode into the Sahara on them for an overnight campout at an oasis. They're more comfortable than a horse.

Don't be afraid of the food; we were in Morocco for 2 weeks, ate everything - including salads - and had no problems (I would avoid the sheepsheads at the Djemma el Fna). We did drink bottled water - but then drank Coke with ice. The fresh orange juice is unbelievable.

There are very expensive dinner/floor shows for tourists - belly dancers, singers, musicians - but ask at the hotel or your guide if there is someplace more 'local' (we were one of two parties in the huge restaurant - the party atmosphere you want [people clapping, singing, etc.] was not there).

This is the desert - don't worry, nothing will be too ambitious. And as for dull? Any place that has traffic rotaries with buses, trucks, taxis, donkey carts and camels can't possibly be dull....you'll love the country!

Search this Thread