Morocco with kids in 8 days

Nov 16th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Morocco with kids in 8 days

Where to stay and what can we do with a 5 and 7yr old? I want to go to Fez and Marrakesh. Are they close enough that we won't spend too many hours travelling? How is Casablanca? Can we do just Marrakesh and Casablanca instead?

Thinking of going in April for 8-9 days.
Nov 16th, 2013, 07:40 PM

Fez is in the north, Marrakech is in the south. They aren't close together but the country isn't enormous. You can take a train from one to the other and while it'll take much a day to do it your kids might enjoy the trip. If you think it'd be too long for them you can pick one place or the other combined with a smaller town for variety. No One will suggest you spend time in Casablanca, no there there.

If you've looked on other threads here I recently suggested, as others have, Fez combined with Chefchaouen. Or Marrakech with Essaouira. Of the 2 smaller towns I think Essaouira would be more entertaining for children. It's a somewhat bigger town, on the Atlantic, there are fishing boats and more variety of places to stay. In either big city you can stay in a riad which I think is more interesting than a hotel and more suited for children as they're enclosed with courtyards and more homelike. They are, in fact, homes fitted out to receive guests.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what can we do" with the kids. Morocco doesn't have ferris wheels nor are there parks as we think of parks in Europe. But walking and seeing all there is to see I should think is entertainment enough.
Nov 17th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Ian

How about Marrakech, Essaouira & a 3 or 4 day trip to stay in a desert tent? You can enjoy the mania of a Moroccan city (the kids won't) & you both can enjoy the beach & the much smaller town of Essaouira. A guided desert trip might be tedious driving, but a tent stay with a camel ride would undoubtedly be their trip highlight. It certainly was our highlight.

Ian (see my trip report for our trip details)
Dec 18th, 2013, 07:10 PM

Marrakech is not Paris or New York City, you could see most of the attractions in a day, I would suggest you combine Marrakech & Essaouira for instance, a day trip to the High Atlas Mountain may be fun for the kids, you could also attend chez Ali show while in Marrakech, that may entertain your kids
Ride camel or horse while in Essaouira by the beach...
Hope this can be of help.
Cheeers.

Search this Thread