Safety

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Barry

Safety

I am thinking about a trip to South Africa next summer, but was dismayed to hear from someone who just got back from living there that the cities were a pretty dangerous place for foreign tourists. I've heard that about most foreign countries and had a marvelous time in each and every one of them? Is there anything particularly dangerous about Joberg or Cape Town?

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Wulfstan

Wife and I are heading to SA next year. Had the same concerns about Rio.....everything we read was don't go, watch yourselves, CRIME! Well we went in Oct of this year had a blast and wondered why we didnt go sooner? Not one problem! If you listened to the news/govt you would not venture outside of your door. Just our opinion, hope to see you in SA.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Hi Barry,<BR><BR>Must agree with Wulfstan all the way.<BR><BR>Many people have read so many stories in the media about the safety factor<BR>in Johannesburg and Cape Town. <BR><BR>As far as security in Cape Town is concerned two questions are always asked by people who want to visit the SA. The first question is whether all that the media publish is true? The second question that I am always asked is whether going to SA is a life<BR>threatening adventure? My answer to this is that just as in most cities<BR>that I have been to all over the world, Cape Town has its security problems HOWEVER while if you simply listen to advise of locals when in the SA I would say that your chances of having your safety threatened are so small that I would discount the concept completely. No matter what the media reports I can honestly tell you that nobody in my experience that I know has ever had a crime experience or has had first hand knowledge of someone who has had a run in with SERIOUS crime in Cape Town. Thats the 100% honest truth. In johannesbutrg one tends to hear about lot more crime however I feel it is all relative and you simply have to look at the statistics in a world scenario.<BR><BR>Thus in summarising all I can say is that if your attitude is such that<BR>you are prepared to accept the usual risks associated with foreign travel<BR>when you venture to any city of the world , then there should be no reason<BR>that concern about your safety should deter you from coming to see the<BR>marvels of Cape Town and Johannesburg.<BR><BR>Have fun when you get to our shores, forget about crime and I guarantee<BR>you that you will have a wonderful holiday.<BR><BR>Hope that this all helps.<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz<BR><BR><BR>

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 06:06 AM
Celia

I've traveled to South Africa quite a few times. I don't believe foreign tourists are any more at risk there than in other countries. SA does indeed have a high crime rate, but the victims are South Africans themselves, not usually foreign tourists. As Selwyn says, pay attention to the advice of the locals, and you will have a wonderful time in a marvelous country.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 09:10 AM
Karen

I am a Canadian living in South Africa. Generally speaking, I agree with all the above. I would suggest that if you are driving yourself, you drive defensively - just like you do at home, right I would also suggest carrying a cell phone, do not stop to help - call the police if help is needed and don't act like you want to be a victim - don't flash money - even at home where ever that is, it's an invitation for someone to relieve you of it. If you are still anxious, keep your car doors locked while driving around. I have seen quite a lot of this world and I have heard this advise in every country I have been in, including home.This is a fabulous country with great people and if offers you a holiday to remember forever. Come on over and enjoy!<BR>Karen