morocco two and half weeks

Feb 3rd, 2014, 12:43 AM
Original Poster

morocco two and half weeks

Hi there
my husband and I are going to Morocco for the sacred world music festival which is on in Fez during the 13- 21st of june 2014. We are happy to spend about a week there and then probably have another nine days or so to see other parts of morocco.
We will start our trip in spain for ten days (the south I guess unless anyone things the northern area (san sebastian is better). We will fly into morocco in time for the start of the festival and after which we will take off for the next nine days and want to include Essaouira Marakkesh high atlas etc..
We want to stay in high end places and preferably with pools in Fez and Marakkesh.
We think we will try to find a private driver so any suggestions would be welcomed.
will it be cool anywhere during June or hot throughout. il it be too hot for the tented experience at that time?
Ar this stage not quite sure where we will fly out of but we can sort that out with some flexibility time wise.
Thanks very much in advance
Feb 3rd, 2014, 03:51 AM

You are in for a treat in Morocco. We went Sept/Oct 2013 and it was fabulous. Do not try driving yourself though in Marrakesh. We hired a fabulous driver, Ali, who has his own business now although he was with Desert Majesty when we were there. He is so meticulous and knows the entire country like the back of his hand and he is so congenial and smiles all the time. We loved him. Anytime we had a question, he knew the answer and shared information with us anytime he thought it would be helpful. His website is http://www.moroccodaytrip.com/ We heartily recommend him. We can also heartily recommend Desert Majesty who he was with before going into business for himself. I'm sure you will also find the prices reasonable. We checked a number of companies and couldn't have found a better driver or company. Hope that helps.
Feb 6th, 2014, 07:05 AM

Feel free to ignore tour companies posing as individuals on this forum- you certainly know better.
I was at the Fez music festival last year and it was incredible. The music combined with the fabulous locations was the perfect marriage. At night, the alleys of the Medina were signaled with lanterns and you should also stay up for the Sufi nights, quite a treat where a lot of locals go.
Morocco in June can get very hot and therefore I suggest staying away from the Sahara unless you are resistant to temperatures of over 40 degrees Celsius. You will find Essaouira a little too touristy perhaps - try to visit Chefchaouen, Asilah and Oualidia. The Atlas Mountains and Marrakech are fine, although the latter can be quite intimidating compared to Fez.
It is probably more convenient to visit south of Spain together with Morocco. You have affordable flights ( Ryanair) into Rabat and Marrakech from Seville and Madrid. Places I would recommend in southern Spain are Granada, Cordoba, Seville and Cadiz if time allows it.
There are quite a few good agencies organizing tours around Morocco, just use Trip Advisor as a starting point and send emails to a few of them.

Best of luck.
Feb 6th, 2014, 09:40 PM

Thank you for your review of the Fes music festival. I found it very useful as I'm thinking of going next year. It sounds wonderful.
Less useful is your comment to ignore individuals like myself who are private travellers wishing to assist others. 'Mooky' actually said she and her husband were thinking about a private driver and asked for suggestions. I'm sure there are many good tour companies, but you can only recommend the one you have had personal experience with; which I did. Our company was just fantastic and more than met our expectations; why wouldn't we recommend them when someone was looking for suggestions! Just like you, one trys to be helpful.
Feb 7th, 2014, 01:10 PM

Is this really the only way you can get yourself clients ? I certainly hope not.
Feb 14th, 2014, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

thank you all for your input. Actually I was starting to wonder whether it might be too hot in june but our daughter highly recommended the music festival so i guess that's the only time one can see it. Your suggestion to stay out of the Sahara is a good one thank you leavethisplanet.I have to say my husband and I had a momentary hesitation about going to Morocco at such a hot time and started discussing a detour of a driving holiday around Ireland (the sublime to the ridiculous) Anyway it is hard to pass up going to Morocco and i think we will have to make sure we stay at nice places which have a pool
I a wondering if even driving round the south of Spain might be very hot at that time.
Anyway I do appreciate your efforts in responding so thanks again
Feb 17th, 2014, 11:45 PM

Hell Mooky,

We were in Cordoba, Seville and Granada with my wife during the world cup ( July) in 2010. They were all quite hot with temperatures reaching 100 Fahrenheit. Granada seemed to be the most bearable, probably due to the mountains being close and the night were cool. Not so in Cordoba and Seville, Seville especially was not fun. You have to carefully plan your day so as to wake up early, do most of things before noon and come back for a lunch, splash in the pool/ siesta. You can then go out again in the evening - the good part with Spain is that you find people out and places open very late in the evening.

Search this Thread