Search

Visit Gorilas in Uganda

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visit Gorilas in Uganda

We are interested the Gorila's/Chimpanzee's trekking in Uganda, any recommendation on tour operators (has anybody used ranger safaris tour?), security/safety within the country?
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 11:24 AM

You are talking to the right person, Uganda is the safest country in subsaharan Africa, I'm an experienced guide in Uganda and I have done un countable trips to gorilla and chimpanzee tracking,Ihave never hard ofranger safari tours
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 02:16 PM

piyuyo we have been back about a month from spending 3 weeks in Uganda. We had a fantastic time. Did 2 gorilla treks & 4 chimp habituations. I am busy at work now but will check in & try to write up a bit of a trip report this coming weekend. We used Churchill safaris & would happily recommend their services. J
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 05:51 PM

I was in Uganda last month as well and never had a worry about my safety with regards to other people, but I did have a worry or two while out and about in the wild.

Ugandans are some of the friendliest people I have ever met. The country now ranks as one of my favorite destinations.
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 07:13 PM

We used Churchill as well and we happy but I would say to do your research about the distances between places. They did not accurately account for the travel time which was often extremely long between places.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 03:53 PM

Hi piyuyo
We used Gorilla Tours in 2010 and would recommend them (see more in report: http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...s-and-more.cfm) but I also met some of Churchill's clients and they were happy with their services too. Good luck with the planning, I'm sure you'll love Uganda.

I second a couple of points, the Ugandans are extremely friendly and courteous, I wandered round Entebbe on my own without problems (female!) and felt safe and not bothered by anyone, but probably wouldn't wander the streets in Kampala, same as I would be wary of any big city, but felt happy enough shopping in the malls in Kampala on my own.

lhgreenacres has a point about distances, I also think they understate the time it takes to travel between places, maybe not to put you off! But it took us more than 10 hours including a lunch stop to drive from Kisoro (Bwindi) to Entebbe and I've seen some tours stating it takes just 6.

jules39, I look forward to hearing about your trip, I understand the work problem though, it has a nasty habit of intruding! We might have the chance to go back to Uganda this year so would like to get some ideas from your experiences!
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 08:13 AM

I recommend Pearl of Africa Tours & Travel. Very friendly & supportive team with over 10 years experience in Tours, Safaris in Uganda and East Africa. You can contact them on www.pearlofafricatours.com.

Security:
Uganda is among the safest countries in the world and Kampala is ranked among the most safe cities in Africa accoring to lonely planet.

I know you will love visiting Uganda - Trust me!
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 01:00 PM

My husband and I had a fantastic visit to Uganda last summer. We traveled with Primate Watch Safaris, and were very impressed with them. Flo was fantastic to work with, via email and phone/skype, and our guide was professional and a great driver. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

You can read about our trip here -

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...ch-safaris.cfm
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:44 AM

Rangers is Tanzanian I believe. I'd go with one of the above mentioned, instead or Mantana or Volcanoes in Uganda.

Where do you plan to visit chimps?

Chambura Gorge in Queen Elizabeth is probably the easiest but it can be tough to see them there.
Kibale offers excellent chimp trekking.
There is Ngamba Island in Lake Victoria where you can do chimp walks with the youngsters.
If you go to Murchison Falls, which is a beautiful destination, there is chimp trekking in Padabi Forest.
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:49 AM

Hi, i will definitely recommend these 2 Companies.

Can email [email protected], [email protected] or [email protected]. Am sure they will give you their best rates and services.
Old May 11th, 2012, 06:49 AM

More recommended companies.. [email protected]. For ranger safaris, there base is in Tanzania so there quote should be high since they are probably subcontracting.
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 02:44 AM

I didnt finish my travel report yet, but i traveled with Instinct Safaris who are based in Uganda, not Tanzania or anywhere else. Originally, I found them by just typing safaris uganda into google and I was very happy with my tour. Their website is www.instinctsafaris.com and my contact was Niels
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 02:44 AM

I recomend Tamani Africa Tours, they do offer an excellent service www.tamanitours.com
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 05:43 AM

you can as well command your own trip and safari by hiring a safari vehicle and guide only. you can get advice from the tour guide you will be with in advance, here you will pay for exactly what you get, no hidden costs, its good and budget oriented..
i and my husband travelled to uganda last year, hired a safari vehicle and its guide, for 14 days, we only had to re-fuel just, in the end result we saved alot than if we had used a company package, we booked with auto rental uganda and they did our last minute accomadation booking and the gorilla permits as well. you can as well try them too if need be and compare with other companies you inquire with. the mountain gorillas were amazing. www.autorentaluganda.com
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 01:20 AM

If you are looking for a tour operator to visit this website www.safaristouganda.com It is a Ugandan best tour operator famous for using using local safari guides who have a vast knowledge about the country.
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 09:48 AM

Gorilla trekking permits need to be bought several months in advance, especially during peak seasons (school holidays and Christmas). Chimp permits are little bit more flexible.
Golden Monkeys worth seeing too! I saw them last week at Mgahinga, south-western Uganda. Fabulous.
I know a number of tour operators and can recommend a number of them. If unsure, always best to check them out with auto, Association of Uganda Tour Operators.
For wildlife adventure, culture, safaris, birding and random observations across Uganda, pls feel free to check out my blog Diary of a Muzungu www.muzungubloguganda.com