Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Morocco Trip Report (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/morocco-trip-report-588420/)

karinkz Feb 5th, 2006 12:05 PM

Morocco Trip Report

If anyone is interested in the report of my recent tour of Morocco, please Email me at [email protected] Warning: it is long and detailed! Karin

aurorauna Feb 6th, 2006 05:16 AM

I'd be interested in any advice for Marrakech...

jenmaroc Feb 6th, 2006 06:38 AM

aurorauna, what kind of advice are you seeking? accommodation? things to see / do?

aurorauna Feb 7th, 2006 02:18 AM

Well, I am trying to decide between, Riad Enija, Palais Rhoul. Ksar Char Bagh, or Kasbah Agafay... I know that the riad enija is the only one in the medina. Also I would like to know where to get Berber or Caidale tents...and how much I should expect to pay.

jenmaroc Feb 7th, 2006 03:09 AM

I've only heard positive feedback about Riad Enija and Kasbah Agafay - both are luxurious and very well regarded. I dont think you could go wrong at either place. It all comes down to whether or not you want to be in the medina. I personally prefer medina accommodation because you walk out of your door and walk through the souks without having to get a driver or taxi.

With regards the caidale tents, check with Blaoui - he has a very nice shop in the medina and makes top quality furniture, decor items, etc. Everyone knows him, so you can ask your hotel for directions to his place. If he doesnt have a tent pre-made, I'm sure he can source one for you. Granted, you'll pay a premium price for this. It might be worth doing a google search as I know there are places outside of Morocco (specifically in the US, but I dont know where you are) that make caidale tents to order. They're expensive, but it may turn out that to have one made and then shipped back would be roughly the same price.

aurorauna Feb 7th, 2006 06:07 AM

Thanks for the info...anything else a must see-do-or eat....I will be there 4 days only...

jenmaroc Feb 7th, 2006 06:47 AM

I like the Majorelle Gardens - they're small but very pleasant. Take in one of the medersas (the ancient Koranic Schools), the Jemaa el Fna, and if you fancy a day trip, the Ourika Valley is lovely.

New restaurants are opening all the time, but last year's big thing was Marrakechi, overlooking the Jemaa el Fna. I had a look at the menu and it didnt inspire me to eat there, but people raved about it. I like the restaurant at Les Jardins de la Medina. Dar Yacout is world-renowned.

Let me know if you have any further questions...

aurorauna Feb 8th, 2006 12:03 AM

thanks...for the advice...will report as soon as I get back

aurorauna Feb 8th, 2006 06:45 AM

One more question...in comparison to Riad Enija....what about Kssouragafay or La Sultana Hotel??? Which would you reccomend.....

hanl Feb 9th, 2006 06:33 AM

Karinkz, any reason why you can't post your report online here? Sounds like it would be a great resource, and this board doesn't get that many reports on Morocco... I'm sure it would be appreciated by many
:)

karinkz Feb 21st, 2006 10:25 AM

A couple reasons I haven't posted it--it is very long--and I've been sending it out in installments, as I write it. ALso, there are some comments about specific people that I think I'd rather not post. When I finish the entire report, I might edit it a little, and post it in the trip report section.
Karin

ezel Feb 24th, 2006 09:37 PM

We are going to take train from Casablanca to Marrakech for 1 day tour off our cruise. Will be have enough time to see the El Fna market, souks and El Badi Palace? Do we need a guide? Will we be harrassed by locals if we do it on our own?

kleroux Feb 25th, 2006 12:38 PM

If I recall its about a 3 hr train ride to Marrakech. Rabat is closer and is also very interesting, I understand. Its about 1 hr. N. of Casa. Getting a private guide might be a quick way of seeing as much as you can given your short stay. We're going in Sept. so this reply is based only on what I've read, and not what I've experienced.

jenmaroc Feb 27th, 2006 04:44 AM

Ezel,
I think trying to get to Marrakech and back from Casablanca in one day will be a bit taxing. The train is at least 3 hours each way. That wont give you much time to see Marrakech.

Rabat is beautiful and much closer. The Kasbah Oudaya is lovely and set upon the cliff above the sea. There si a great little "Moorish Cafe" there where you can sit overlooking the sea and have tea and Moroccan pastries. The Kasbah is also very close to the entrance to the medina - which (although not like Marrakech or Fes - its still worth seeing).

ememers Feb 27th, 2006 12:29 PM

not sure if i'm too late to jump on the bandwagon for this but i'm very interested to see your trip report too! my e-mail is: ememers (at) hotmail.com

ezel Feb 27th, 2006 08:00 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. Don't think Marakesh is going to work. Rabat sounds like the place to go.

saltpeter Feb 28th, 2006 09:02 AM

My wife and I are headed to Morocco for 12 days in April. We arrive in Marrakesh and stay three 3 nights. We then want to get over the mountains and see the gorges, oases and desert. Again we have allocated 4 days/3 nights. Any suggestions would be great, especially in the Ouarzazate/Zagora/Mergouza area.

pnd1 Feb 28th, 2006 03:33 PM

I wanted to thank you publicly, Karin, for making your trip available to us by email. It is one of the most detailed, well written, and thorough trip reports I've read, and in some ways better than a guide book. You bring a personal touch and great insight to travel in Morocco. I have printed out all 27 pages of Part I, and will take it with me when we go to Morocco in December. I await the second segment with much enthusiasm.

I also looked at the hundreds of images you have linked us to in your report as well. They are competently made and contain very informative descriptions of what we can expect to see, and you have given me a number of photographic ideas to pursue on my own.

Thanks again for this contribution to this Forum, Karin. You have done all who will be going to Morocco a great service with this kind of detail.

Best,

Phil