Morocco trip in May/June

Jan 13th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Morocco trip in May/June

My husband and I are thinking about a trip to Morocco in late May/early June of this year. I have been looking on this forum to get some ideas for an itinerary. We would have 8 nights - fly direct out of NYC on a Friday, arrive in Casablanca Saturday morning and then onto Fes (or Marrakesh). We would fly back 8 nights later on Sunday out of Casablanca.

I think we would like to go to Fes, Marrakesh, and somewhere in/near the desert. From looking online, it seems that the only way to travel to/from the desert is by car. Here is what I was thinking:

Friday - leave NYC
Sat - Arrive Casablanca, onto Fes
Sun, Mon - Fes
Tues - leave early for Erfoud or desert location
Wed - desert location
Thurs - leave for Marrakesh
Fri, Sat - Marrakesh
Sun - back to Casablanca and onto NYC

Is this too much in 9 days? Would appreciate input from the Morocco experts out there and the ideal desert location.

Also - if anyone can provide driving times between the various places, that would be great too.

Thanks!!!
Jan 13th, 2007, 08:11 PM

Hi-I'm looking for info on going to Morocco as well, in late March. This is a big trip for us, more off the beaten path than usual. Never been to Africa. Are you going to hire a guide or do any kind of organized tour? That's not usually our style but thinking it might be the right path for us on this trip. Any advice you can share that you've learned thus far? We just decided today to go!
Jan 13th, 2007, 10:21 PM

I leave for Morocco in 10 days and will be posting a long detailed report when I get back mid Feb. So check back.
Jan 14th, 2007, 03:41 AM

We flew into Casablanca (not much to see here - just the Mosque which is the largest religious installation in the world aside from Mecca). The corniche is pretty and we did go to Rick's Cafe for dinner - very nice. Drove to Rabat, Volubius (lots of walking there), Meknes (try the wine!) and Fes.
Fes needs at least 2 days to see it all. Then drove to Marrakesh (needs
at least 2-3 days to see everything.) We then hired a private guide, Ali
Oussou and his driver Youssef to take us over the High Atlas to the Erg
Chebbi area, stopping in numerous villages (spent 5 days with Ali) and
that was clipping along to see everything. Finished our trip with 4 days in Essaouria (do not miss this seaside area) it's a mico climate and the temperature is stellar.

Ali Ousso was very informative, spoke good English and answered all our
question about the culture, history etc. He has a great sense of humour
and we had many laughs with him and our driver. The great thing was
that the whole trip was so informal, like being with friends and that
our plans/itiniaries were very flexible.
Jan 14th, 2007, 08:14 AM

8 days is doable with this itinerary but only if you have a guide and driver and car. Read my trip report recently posted "Morocco trip report". Fes is absolutely beautiful and we preferred it over Marrakesh. Where are you staying in Fes?

You must have a guide and driver to do the desert trip which is very memorable. I suggest staying in a night in that area after the sleeping in the desert since you can be exhausted and the trip to Marrakesh is long. I would suggest a gem of a place called Le Jardin de Skoura in the little town of Skoura, owned by a french lady. We stayed a night and wished we could have stayed longer.

From Fes to Erg Chebbi is at least 8 hours or more. Erg Chebbi to Skoura about 6-7 hours and from Skoura to Marrakesh, about 7 hours. Again this is including stopping to sight see the many places in between.

Check out our Moroccan guide who was a gem in every way. We travelled in a toyota 4X4 with his driver and by the end of trip found them to be friends for life. [email protected]

For the ideal desert location, within the confines of your itinerary, it would have to be Erg Chebbi area near Rissani. Again have your guide custom make it to meet your expectations. It is an unforgetable experience.

happy travels.