Reload this Page >

Kenya or Kenya/Tanzania with A&K

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 01:30 PM
Hans

We are planning to take an Abercrombie & Kenbt safari next June and are having a tough time deciding between their "Wings over Kenya" tour and thier "Livingstone Tour" which would include Tanzania. The Livingstone Tour is more expensive but is two days longer and includes trips to Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro and the Serengeti and stays in Serena Lodges throughout Tanzania and Kenya (Kenya stops are limited to Amboseli and Masai Mara). The trip also includes more time driving between parks (particularly in Tanzania). The Wings over Kenya tour includes trips to Amboseli, Samburu and Masai Mara as well as an overnight at Mount Kenya. Except for the night in Nairobi and Mount Kenya, the accomodations are in the tented camps and travel is by plane (presumably leaving more time to be in the parks.) Any suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. In addition, any information about finding discount airfare to Nairobi would also be appreciated! Thanks!

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 05:44 PM
April

For me, no question - the Livingstone Tour, precisely because it includes Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro and the Serengeti. Also, I would rather drive to see more of the scenery and animals than fly. Having camped (though not as luxuriously as with Abercrombie and Kent) during most of my time in Tanzania, staying in lodges sounds good too. <BR>

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 06:07 AM
Louise

After travelling to Kenya and Tanzania two years ago we swore we would never go back unless we flew everywhere. Words cannot describe how bad the roads are and I am sure they have probably gotten worse. A lot of dust also. However, do not miss Tanzania. Maybe a different tour company would work - there are other very good ones. You will love "tenting".

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 01:12 PM
April

True enough about the dust, Louise. I've never gotten so dirty in my life but we were travelling in an open truck. I guess it depends on how much (or little) you want to rough it. Still, I would not have missed that twisty-turny drive on the rough, rock strewn "road" down into the Great Rift for the world. I would think though that Abercrombie and Kent's trips would be quite a bit more relaxing? <BR>

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 01:54 PM
Bly

Hans: I vote the Livingstone tour b/c of Ngorongoro. The Serengeti & Masai Mara are the same park - the name changes at the border. You didn't mention where you were flying from re: airfare. For us, it was cheapest to buy separate legs: We flew Denver - JFK-Amsterdam, then Amsterdam-Nairobi-Mombasa. By doing 2 separate booking we saved about $1500 than if we booked Denver - Mombasa. (We would have had to fly thru NY and a European city either way) Enjoy your trip. If possible, try and stay at the Ngorongoro Crater Lodge - it was pure luxury after the dust and bumpy roads.

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 02:21 PM
Louise

Hans - I posted before about the roads in Kenya and Tanzania. I would like to recommend Maupintour. We did all of the places you mentioned - Mt. Kenya Safari Club, Samburu, Lake Nakuru and Navaisha, the Ark in the Aberdares and the Masai Mara. In Tanzania we went to Lake Manyara, the Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater and Oldavai Gorge. Everyplace we stayed was first class. There was a combination of flying and driving.

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 05:07 PM
Louise

Oops - forgot to include Amboseli in the above list.

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 07:15 AM
Hans

Thank to everyone who responded! I really appreciate it. To end the suspense, we decided on the best of both worlds--we are doing the Wings over Kenya Tour and adding on a three day trip to the crater. Believe it or not, but the price is only $150 per person more for the whole trip and we get to stay at the Mt. Kenya Safari Club and in the luxury tented camps. We are all very excited and I really do appreciate all of your input. With respect to Maupintour, I also appreciate the recommendation. I looked at their materials and was very impressed but have severala number of friends at work who have gone with A&K to other places around the world and who loved their trips so we decided to go with them, even if we do pay a little more. In terms of airfare, we did the same thing and bought two tickts and are saving about $1,300 per person. Here's a little FYI for you. If you fly British Airways non-stop from London-Gatwick to Nairobi the airfare right now is $1487 per person. If, however, you fly from Paris- Charles de Gaulle on British Airways to London-Gatwick and connect to to that non-stop flight to Nairobi, the airfare is $888 per person! (Air France has a daily non-stop from CDG as well but their schedule would have required us to spend an extra night before tghe tour began in Nairobi and we decided we would rather stay in Paris.) Now that the trip is planned, the hard part comes-- waiting! Unfotunately, we are not going to the end of June next year! Oh well. Thanks again for all of your help and if I can ever be of any assistance with questions on Australia, New Zealand, Europe (both Eastern and Western) or Russia, plese do hesitate to contact me! Hans

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 06:32 AM
Dave

Hans - <BR> <BR>How was the trip to the crater? Was it worth the extra time and expense?