Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Just booked 9 day safari in Kenya. After searching still unsure of how much cash is needed please help!

Just booked 9 day safari in Kenya. After searching still unsure of how much cash is needed please help!

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 09:34 AM
Thyra

Hello, thanks for responding. I have booked a 9 day safari in Kenya (an amazing deal, couldn't resist).

I did a search on this forum and was unable to determine how much "Petty cash" we should carry. All meals (but 2 dinners in Nairobi), lodging, transpo and activities are covered in the safari price, but there are tips, shopping (we are not that into shopping at all) drinks and ..what else?
I'd like to bring as little cash as possible. $500.00 US plus some $200.00 traveler's checks? Too much? Too little? Our trip is in March.. thanks.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 09:45 AM
peg

Who did you book your safari through?

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 09:49 AM
Thyra

2Afrika, it came to us via newsletter from Frommer's, then I did a search on them on this board, (positive reviews), then I emailed several people directly and also got a great response.
The price was so amazing! We thought we'd have to wait another 10 years before we could afford a safari..$1775.00 per person that's including air from Atlanta GA. Plus $130.00 taxes PP.
We had budgeted $5000.00 for a spring Europe trip, but this price was fantastic and we decided to go for it.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 12:03 PM
peg

Thank you. That is a great price. I was thinking the same thing that it would take me years before I could afford one.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 05:29 PM
Gina

For two weeks we spent no more then $200.00 and that included tips, water and laundry in two camps. Everything else was included in a price of safari. We do not drink any alcohol and did not shop so this is a reason why our extra expenses were so low. And we decided against a baloon safari after flying in small planes across Kenya we already had an opportunity to see animals from above. And maybe we are just cheap but did not feel that it was worthy to spend $400 per person for one hour flight and a champagne breakfast. We don't even drink.
We had traveler's checks with us. There is no need to exchange US $

I would like to hear more details about your safari. What places will you be staying in and how long in each camp or lodge? Are you driving or flying between those places? How small or large is your group? I hope you will have a great fun. We loved it so much that it are returning only after 18 months. We will be in Kenya in March as well.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 06:12 AM
Dave

US dollars are accepted everywhere (after all, it is money), but I would suggest using a MAC card to get shillings, about $100.00 worth at a time. If anything is priced in shillings, they will ask for the next higher dollar amount. I think you will have more of a feel for the country if you deal in their currency. A MAC card is better than travelers checks. You don't have to worry about running out of money, and you get the best rate of exchange. For all big bills use your charge card.

For peace of mind, bring $200 in twenties, and 25 one dollar bills.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 08:40 AM
Thyra

Gina and Dave, thanks so much for responding. I am glad I don't have to bring a ton of cash.

Question Dave, I am slightly abashed to admit that I don't know what a MAC card is, or I am unfamiliar with that term. I am sorry but I would like to find out more (beginning days of research, what can I say?) The idea of getting their currency is what I prefer anyway, I like to familiarize myself with the money, and it's always interesting and from a visual standpoint to look at money from another culture.

Gina: We are going from Nairobi to Aberdare from Aberdare to Lake Nakuru and from Lake Nakuru to Masai Mara. We drive between places, which I know takes alot of time on touch and go road conditions. Ideally, money and time allowed, we would like to take at least a month or Three off and go all over Africa, really get to know everything! We are looking on this as our "Introduction Safari". I have included a link below that has the whole itinerary.
http://www.2afrika.com/east_africa/k...ing_safari.htm

Again, thanks for responding!