Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Morocco Tour in February (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/morocco-tour-in-february-1647953/)

mlsieminski Feb 3rd, 2018 06:06 AM

Morocco Tour in February

My sister and I will be doing a 9-day tours of Morocco in mid-February. We were thinking it was going to be warm and we would bring summer clothes, but now I see that the temperatures have been struggling to get out of the 50s and there was even some snow in the desert. We would appreciate any suggestions for good travel wardrobe.

Moderator3 Feb 3rd, 2018 07:12 PM

Moved from Travel Tips

MmePerdu Feb 3rd, 2018 07:43 PM

Morocco has winter. I've frozen in Marrakech in March and while there can be warmer weather, like my day in N. California today in the 70's, winter will inevitably return until spring. I've found April to be a really nice time in Morocco in general though it can be cold still at night and at higher elevations. Leave the summery things at home and bring long pants with tops you can layer, and a jacket for evenings, even if the daytime warms up. I've gotten a lot of use from a light fleece pullover, too. You'll be walking a lot, no doubt, so bring your comfy shoes with a pair of warm socks, just in case.

mlsieminski Feb 4th, 2018 05:01 AM

Thanks for you good advice!! Re-packing now!

MmePerdu Feb 4th, 2018 08:00 AM

Have a wonderful time. You're in for a treat.

david1107 Feb 6th, 2018 10:47 AM

this year's Morocco it cold not like last years i don't know why ,if you want to come to Morocco i suggest to cost town in south like Agadir little harm but in the middle like Marrakech it cold 2 degrees at night
i life in Agadir if you want any help don't hesitate to contact me, i like exchange experince whit people

mlsieminski Feb 7th, 2018 05:15 AM

What a kind offer! Thank you. However, we are on a guided tour with no chance to change the places we visit. We will bring warm clothes and I am sure have a wonderful time.

TimCullis Feb 9th, 2018 06:20 AM

I live half the year in the mountains in southern Spain and the locals were forecasting a severe winter. Boy were they right! And Morocco got its share as well with nearly 40 major roads closed through snow.

Fortunately for you the weather looks like turning next week with lots of sunshine, so the middle of the day is likely to be fairly warm, however the mornings and evenings will still be cool/chilly. And of course any trips involving altitude will be colder.

There's nothing worse than being cold, so plan to take clothes you can combine in layers if necessary. I often take thermal underwear (doubling up as warm sleeping clothes) so I have two layers on my legs if it's really cold. A fleece is OK if there's no wind but I would give packing preference to a lightweight wind/water-proof outer shell jacket. And throw in gloves, hat and scarf. If may not use them but if you need to you will be really glad you brought them with you.

Let us know how you get on.

MmePerdu Feb 9th, 2018 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by TimCullis (Post 16671576)
A fleece is OK if there's no wind but I would give packing preference to a lightweight wind/water-proof outer shell jacket.

Actually, when I mentioned fleece & jacket above, I was thinking about wearing them together and the fleece alone indoors in places without heat, not unusual.

mlsieminski Feb 10th, 2018 04:21 AM

Thanks again. Actually today is is up to 60 in Casablanca! We arrive a week from today.

TimCullis Feb 11th, 2018 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by MmePerdu (Post 16671669)
Actually, when I mentioned fleece & jacket above, I was thinking about wearing them together and the fleece alone indoors in places without heat, not unusual.

Sorry, hadn't noticed your post and wasn't correcting you.

aasfakhan Feb 13th, 2018 04:50 PM

You may visit Morocco from March to May month. It is the best time to visit. The best time to visit Morocco weather-wise would be during the spring season in the months of April and May and autumn season in the months of September and October. In this time weather remains pleasant and it is an amazing experience to explore the country during this time of the year.