Morocco: Presence of Armed Guards?

Feb 23rd, 2015, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Morocco: Presence of Armed Guards?

An acquaintance that lives in Morocco half the year said recently that there are numerous armed guards around the streets of any sizable city now. It's been 10 years since I've been to Morocco, and am planning a 3 week road trip. Anyone have recent travel experience there to confirm this?
Feb 23rd, 2015, 10:52 PM

Sallam 'lekum and Hello RJMang,
For some time now, Morocco's various domestic security branches have increased their visible presence throughout the country. For travelers, this is most notable by the armed trios seen walking around airports, bus stations, city centers and medinas. These trios consist of a member of the police (in blue overalls and with trusty radio in hand) flanked by two members of the armed forces (in green overalls and with finger on the trigger), all three of them wearing pink armbands. They simply wander around and make themselves visible and don't impede on anyone's movements (i.e. they aren't stopping and searching everyone). Depending on how you view this, they are either a comforting or disturbing presence. For what it's worth, my (perhaps biased) opinion is that the more visibility of security, the better.
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts and comparisons of the Morocco of ten years ago and the country you will experience today.
Happy travels,
Darren Humphrys

Search this Thread