Morocco Itinerary: where to start?

Feb 23rd, 2012, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

Morocco Itinerary: where to start?

I hope to spend 3-4 weeks in Morocco in late march. So far I have Marrackech, Meknes, Essaouri , the Camel Ride place and Fez. I think I will like to end by the water, but where to begin? I do not want to be overwhelmed on my first few days... or is that hope in vain?

I was thinking it might be good to start in Marrakech as it will be the warmest...then Meknes, then travel through the country with a driver/guide then Fes, then Essaouri?

Originally I thought to start in Fes and head south but now I worry about the weather more than having to fly back to Marrakech?

And whichever ytou suggest for a start can you please suggest a nice riad under $100?

thank you!
'
IN
Feb 24th, 2012, 12:04 AM

In my opinion, if you are landing in Casablanca, you'll have to skip via Rabat, then to chefchaouen for 2 nights, and then Meknes-Volibulis-Fes, after this head Medilt to cut the long way to Erg Cgebbi where the camel ride is for 2 night to 3 as you are having 3 weeks at least, so give it a slow time for each location, so after The Erg Chebbi area, go to Todra gorges, then Dades Gorges, from there to Bouthgrar and then to Ouarzazate, from Ouarzazate to Taroudant then to Agadir, from Agadir to Essaouira, then End up in Marrakech where you can have few day trips, to high atlas mountains like Imlil, Ourika Valley, Ouzoud Falls.
so just collect this details and build you own itinerary, you can either to start from Casa-fes or from Casa-Rak.
Feb 24th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

thank you for the response. Excuse my lack of knowledge but as to these: what would be the reasons to go there, as opposed to spending more time in the larger cities and a stay with Berber families please?

Todra gorges, then Dades Gorges, from there to Bouthgrar and then to Ouarzazate, from Ouarzazate to Taroudant then to Agadir.

Can I not go directly from Marrakech to Essaouri?

Is the stay with Berber families farcical or does it have meaning? I like the idea of doing this as well as contributing to the welfare of a family... if it is "for real"

Many thanks,

IN
Feb 24th, 2012, 09:58 AM

Where did the Berber families come from? I read the original post - no Berber families. I read the reply, no Berber fasmily. Then I read the reply to the reply - Berber families.

I once stayed with a Berber family. My room had goats in it. That was 'for real'.

Search this Thread