Dec 15th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Morocco information

Can anyone tell me how attitutes towards Americans
are these days in Morocco. I see several companies
resuming their tours in 2006.

Thanks!
Dec 16th, 2005, 12:24 AM

Attitudes towards Americans in Morocco have not changed - they're as good as ever. I have been living in Morocco since just after 9/11 and not once have I encountered someone who treated me in any negative way because of my nationality. Moroccans are very good at differentiating between a person and the policies of that person's government.

In fact, most Moroccans will be quick to tell you that Morocco was the FIRST country in the world to acknowledge the independednce of the USA after 1776.

The post-9/11 decline in American tourists coming to Morocco has more to do with misinformation and American attitudes towards Muslim countries than vice versa.

If you're considering a trip to Morocco, do not hesitate - its perfectly safe and you will be warmly received.
Dec 16th, 2005, 09:16 AM

Jenmaroc,
It's interesting to get an insider's point of view. I was in Morocco (visiting) in 2000, and found that once I left areas that a lot of tourists congregated (the medinas,hotels, etc), people were not that welcoming.

We (my tour group)went to a little market (Ouarzzazate?) and the vendors were not that pleased to see us. Our guide told us to feel free to walk around and I decided to take pictures of some rabbits for sale. Luckily my guide was very near by as the ensuing (very heated) argument nearly led to fisticuffs.

All was well in the end. From what I gathered the vendor was told that tourists were to be encouraged and not turned away. Other vendors supported this and in the end the rabbit guy relented. It was still pretty frightening though, and this was one of a about 3 inicdents during a 2 week trip.

I've been to other muslim countries, and have not felt the need to be as on-guard as I when I was in Morocco.
Dec 16th, 2005, 02:18 PM

Femi,
I'm sorry to hear about your experience. From my own experience and those of my guests and friends, that's the exception and not the rule.

Obviously I cannot guess what might have gone wrong, but I know that here in Fes, sometimes tour groups are not as warmly received because the operators are not as respectful of the vendors as they should be. Give them a bus and a microphone and suddenly they forget that not every marketseller wants a busload of tourists taking his photo. Occasioanlly I hear snippets of conversation bewteen vendors and guides and sometimes the guides are surprisingly rude (in Arabic, of course, so most tourists wont get the gist of what they're saying).

If the vendor did not want you taking photos of him or his wares, I think thats pretty legitimate. I would be upset if people came to my place of business and took my photo. Out of curiosity, did you ask his permission first? Usually, people will indicate "yes, go ahead" or "no, please dont" very clearly.

Search this Thread