Morocco in May

Feb 23rd, 2014, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Morocco in May

Is May an ok time to travel to Morocco for two weeks?

I really want to see Chefchaouen. Right now my plan is the following:

1. Fly from the U.S. into Marrakech and visit for a few days.
2. Take the 8.5 hrs bus to Fes and stay for a few days.
3. Take grand taxi from Fes to Chefchaouen via Tetouan.
4. I guess I will now need to get to Tangier in order to fly home ?

My concerns are (a) the travelling distance between Marrakech and Fes and (b) where will I fly home from.

Is there a a night bus from M to Fes so that I can get to Fes the next morning? Or maybe the train will be faster? Not sure if I can fly from M to Fes.

Can I get from Chefchaouen to Tangier's airport in one day, assuming I can get a late evening flight home, or should I plan to stay a night in Tangier?

Is it easy to arrange trip to Volubis from Fes, or is Mekenes the better destination to visit Volubis?

Can I get by in Morocco speaking English?

Thanks
Alex
Feb 23rd, 2014, 12:00 PM

Take the train from Marrakech to Fes, a nice ride and easily done in a day.

Certainly no need to go to Tetouan traveling from Fes to Chefchaouen. Grand taxi from Fes on lovely drive through the counryside, under 3 hrs and a stop in Volubilis along the way is a very nice way to do it.

If you can fly home from Tangier, from Chefchaouen it's only about 1 1/2 hrs by grand taxi. Or take a bus but g. taxi is more convenient.
Feb 23rd, 2014, 04:17 PM

I agree with MmePerdu - the train is a good way to travel from Marrakech to Fes.
For Volubilis, it's just slightly north of Meknes and is easy to combine with a trip from Fes to Meknes or Rabat.
To answer your other questions, May is a lovely time to visit and although you can definitely get by speaking English, knowing some French will prove valuable.
Have a great trip!
Feb 23rd, 2014, 05:10 PM

If Axel is going from Fes to Chefchaouen, then I still think it's most time and cost effective to stop at Volubilis on the way rather than make a special trip. It's right on the way and there's certainly enough time if traveling by grand taxi.

If you want to visit Meknes, it's very close to Fes by train on a day trip. I don't think I'd add Rabat to the list too, with just 2 weeks. But you may want to consider going to Tangier a couple of days before your flight. It's a place I put off going for some time, until my most recent trip, and I found I like it very much. It has a different feel from other cities I've spent time in, possibly because of it's international history, and I recommend stopping there rather than Rabat or Meknes, for instance, nice places but not as different from others as Tangier.

Search this Thread