Morocco in July: any tips?

Nov 23rd, 2005, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Morocco in July: any tips?

Hi! My fiance and I are talking about going to Morocco for our honeymoon next July. I've seen the temperature stats for that time of year but I'd love to hear from people who have been in Morocco in high summer--how hot is it? Hot enough to make you want to stay inside during the middle of the day? Any areas of the country that would be good to stick to or avoid? (Obviously seashore and mountains would be cooler, but any more specific advice would be great.) We are both pretty hardy but don't want to get in over our heads. Would we still want to spend time in the Sahara regions at that time of year?

All advice appreciated--Thanks in advance!
Nov 23rd, 2005, 12:22 PM

You could consider the high atlas. I'm a big fan of the Kasbah du Toubkal and its a beautiful setting with some great hikes. The temperature shouldn't be too bad as it's quite high.

You can see my review of the Kasbah and contact details on my site.

www.mcdougalladventures.com/category/morocco
Nov 23rd, 2005, 12:24 PM

Hi there,
I'm in Fes and in general July is bearable (August can be a bit grueling). I'd say its usually in the upper 80s to low 90s (28C-33C). The good thing si that most riads/hotels either have air conditioning or are open to the air so that the courtyards and rooms stay remarkably cool.

Marrakech will be hot - but its such a great place to visit that it would be a shame to avoid it. I would not describe it as too hot to be enjoyable, but you'll notice that Moroccans will take a very long lunch break (from like 12:30 to 4:00pm) when most things will close down. This is a great time to hang out by the pool or take a nap after lunch.

From Marrakech you might consider going to Kasbah Toubkal at the base of Jbel Toubkal. Its a really charming place and there is one "apartment" that I think would be ideal for a romantic getaway - its pricey (the apartment, I mean) but very nice.

Essaouira will be nice and cool - and there are lovely hotels there.

The desert will be hot (obviously) but it does get surprisingly cool at night...dont miss it - its spectacular! but remember to drink a lot more water than you normally do.
Nov 23rd, 2005, 12:49 PM

Yes. I stayed in the Garden Apartment at the Kasbah that fassia refers to. The views were majestic! Pics on the website I gave you.

Search this Thread