Morocco in January

Mar 4th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Morocco in January

Enjoyed recent trip to Marrakech, Essouria, Telouet, Ozzarazate, Fez and Casablanca (sorry re spelling)1/17-1/31. In Marrakech it was quite cold and if you weren't cold you might be hot in the sun for awhile until you were cold again. After 5 days of nice warm/cold sunny weather in MK and Essouria it was cold and rainy. In the mornings all the hotels throw open their windows and the front door. Why I can't tell you except maybe to let the evil spirits out along with all the available warm air. This was true everywhere we went. Moroccans are not wimps weatherwise, for sure. Hotel Gallia in MK was great and so was Villa Maroc in Essouria. The Ibis Hotels by the train stations were bit of godsend and had incredible croissants. Traveling around is tough. MK to Fez on train is 8-9 hours, hence Ibis. The soups and the bread are wonderful. Firewater bought duty free prior to entry a good idea; finding it afterwards a humorous, challenging endeavor. People very friendly and helpful. Few bookstores, many cafes. Best idea I heard which I am sorry I didn't do is bring pens or pencils to give out to kids, teenagers and yes, adults. I brought chewing gum which was appreciated but pens would have been much better. Was awed but took no pictures in Medinas out respect. Highlights: MK and Fez Medinas, hanging in Essouria, going to and staying in Telouet (room temp in morning 43F)Recommend you read Spider House by Paul Bowles and Lords of the Atlas by Maxwell.

Search this Thread