Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Morocco in 5 days...Where to go/what to do? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/morocco-in-5-days-where-to-go-what-to-do-245569/)

Joel Aug 2nd, 2002 09:38 PM

Morocco in 5 days...Where to go/what to do?

Does anyone have any suggestions of where to spend our time? We want to experience the culture...There will be 6 or 8 of us including 2 children 10 and 14. We would like to experience something of an adult nature without the kids as well. We were leaning toward Marakesh...

nikki Aug 4th, 2002 05:20 AM

What about 3 days in Marrakech and 2 days on the coast in Essaouira (laid back historical town) which is 2-3 hrs from Marrackech. You might be interested in reading our reviews and favourite places in these areas on<BR>http://www.i-escape.com/morocco.php

Michael Oct 16th, 2002 01:42 PM

Where you are coming from (I assume that you are not taking a five day trip from home, wherever that is) and how you are traveling are crucial to offering any suggestions. The Marrakesh suggestion is very good if you are flying into Marrakesh. Otherwise you might be spending a lot of time doing long-distance traveling.

K Oct 17th, 2002 05:31 AM

Hi. Last year we had 5 days in Morocco (between a weekend bachelorette party and the wedding the following weekend in the UK). We hired our own driver and guide which worked out great - might be a good idea for your small group. We booked through www.geopassage.com<BR><BR>Our itinerary was-<BR>Sunday afternoon arrived in Casablanca, met by driver & guide, saw a few sights, then drove to Fez. We toured around Fez on Monday & Tuesday. Wednesday morning we drove from Fez to Marrakech. Toured around there for Wed & Thurs. Friday early morning we flew from Marrakech to Casablanca. Spent morning & lunch in Casablanca before being dropped off at airport to catch 4pm flight to UK.

Sarabeth Oct 30th, 2002 07:55 PM

For our trip this past summer we landed in Casa..had a guide waiting for us with his car...drove to Fes with 2 stops in Rabat and Meknes. 3 nights in Fes. We then left our guide, drove to Marrakech (all day) and then spent 2 days there. I want to go back and see more of the country...I think Fes is a must...and MUST be done with a guide...too easy to get lost. I can give you the name and email of the guide we used if you like....

James Dec 4th, 2002 09:30 PM

Definitely go to Fez. try to avoid the very touristy hotels, if you want an acutally morrocco experience. my wife and I and two friends rented out a house right in the middle of the medina. The house was like a palace. actually, it once was something like a palace. a villa. It was completely restored, and the detail and art on it was spectacular. I think what we loved most about it was to have the whole place to ourselves and to be right in the middle of the medina. very authentic. felt a lot more like living in morrocco than being a tourist. which is how we like to travel. also its nice to get a guide in fes. the other thing that was helpful was with this house we rented, we also had a guide. he picked us up at the airport and was pretty much at our disposal. definitely worth the cost, especially if you are splitting it among your friends.

James Dec 4th, 2002 09:51 PM

of course i forgot to mention where to find the place. www.fesmedina.com

Joel Dec 25th, 2002 10:29 PM

Dear Michael, Yes, we ARE coming from 'home' which is in Fort Lauderdale. We are flying into Casablanca and plan to go directly to Marrakesh by ground (A driver/guide who reads these posts offered to take us for $80).From the responses I have gotten thus far it seems that Marrakesh and Fez are the cities to visit. Unfortunately it IS a short trip. We leave late tomorrow (12/27) and return home on 1/1/03. A BIG THANK YOU to all who gave their input to help us plan this trip!!!!